Brain lesions - why didn't they care?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Brain lesions - why didn't they care?

Postby amberfer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:50 pm

My first MRI was in 2007 after I had a one-time seizure. The technicians asked, "Do you get migraines?"

"Why, yes, I do!" I responded. "How did you know?"

"Oh," the technician said casually, "You have white spots all over your brain."

Later the neurologist looked at my MRI and didn't even mention the spots.

Now, six years later, I'm diagnosed with MS. Who knows, maybe I had it coming since then. The brain spots were not too concerning to my current neurologist either, but once she saw my spinal spot, she combined it with the spinal spot, plus my symptoms, plus abnormal proteins in a spinal tap, for a diagnosis of MS.

I've read elsewhere on the forums that peoples' neurologists weren't concerned with brain spots, but it seems weird. Why did they just see brain spots and assume everything was normal, if it could have indicated MS?
amberfer
Family Member

Advertisement

Re: Brain lesions - why didn't they care?

Postby Cece » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:32 pm

I guess the migraines masked the underlying MS, because migraines can cause white spots too. It can take awhile to get an MS diagnosis even when it seems clearer in retrospect.
A spinal spot is more serious because there is less plasticity in the spine, and a spinal spot can cause mobility issues that are very difficult to recover. Brainstem spots are also more concerning.
White spots can also occur as part of normal aging, so if you happen to be older, that would also confuse the diagnosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Re: Brain lesions - why didn't they care?

Postby amberfer » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:04 am

Cece wrote:I guess the migraines masked the underlying MS, because migraines can cause white spots too. It can take awhile to get an MS diagnosis even when it seems clearer in retrospect.
A spinal spot is more serious because there is less plasticity in the spine, and a spinal spot can cause mobility issues that are very difficult to recover. Brainstem spots are also more concerning.
White spots can also occur as part of normal aging, so if you happen to be older, that would also confuse the diagnosis.

I'm only 26 now and in 2007 I was 19 so probably not aging. But this is really helpful information, and it explains a lot of what I've gone through the last few years that wasn't quite "alarming" enough to see a doctor, but was just plain weirdd.

Thank you for clarifying why the spinal spot is serious, and possibly not the brain spots. I didn't know they could be caused by age as well. Good to know!

I'm also worried about my spine spot because it is causing mobility issues with me. But I hope physical therapy will help.
amberfer
Family Member

Return to General Discussion