iron

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

iron

Postby jerrygallow » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:20 pm

I gave blood yesterday and they told me if my iron had been any higher, I would not have been allowed to donate. Really, I donate just to lower my iron levels, which seem to be high most of the time. I have not eaten red meat in years. I avoid cereal grains fortified with iron. I do not take any supplements with iron.

I've read that there is an iron connection to MS with iron deposits in the brain, etc. Does anyone else have chronically elevated iron levels?
jerrygallow
Family Member

Advertisement

Re: iron

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:44 pm

heya :)

do you have a hemochromatosis dx? high iron could defs interfere with zinc status, and you need adequate zinc to avoid iron deposition. re our last chat, any zinc testing updates?

my iron has been traditionally very very low (ex-vegan) but more recently has been as high as 150 (so I am definitely out of the woods iron wise, no more supplements).
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:46 pm

TiMS user Bethr would be a useful go-to person, if you want to ask about hemochromatosis.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby centenarian100 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:27 am

Are you sure you are talking about iron. They generally test hematocrit/HgB rather than iron studies when you donate blood...at least in the united states
centenarian100
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion