Physiotherapy student is looking for help

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
kaaaska28

Physiotherapy student is looking for help

Post by kaaaska28 »

Hello!
I'm physiotherapy student in Rzeszów University. I'm writing my master's thesis about fatigue and its association with sleep disorders, depressive symptoms and anxiety in patients with multiple sclerosis. I would like to ask You to to complete the short questionnaire. Of course the questionnaire is completely anonymous and the results will be used solely for scientific purposes. I will be very grateful for your help!

Here is the link
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1bcaBqB ... Y/viewform
kaaaska28

Re: Physiotherapy student is looking for help

Post by kaaaska28 »

I renew my request. I will be really, really grateful for help!
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

I think a number of us have some trouble answering your questions. You are trying to fit us into neat little boxes. People with MS don't fit boxes very well. You also haven't allowed for those of us who are quite well. You might do better if you ask questions that are general but relate to a topic because the answers will be very varied.

Regards
kaaaska28

Post by kaaaska28 »

I'm sorry if I did sth wrong, but more of this question are from some kind of questionnaire to research health fields and I couldn't change it. I didn't want to offend anyone or fit you into small box. But I'm appreciate Your advice, next time I'll try to change sth. Thank You. And I would like to still ask those people who can help me to top up my questionnaire. Have a good day!
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

You didn't do anything wrong. We appreciate your interest but a lot of us will struggle to answer the questions. The underlying assumption from the questions is we all have issues that fit your thesis. It doesn't work like that. Some one us are well and have no problems at all, some may have issues but they are driven by non MS circumstances. Others will fit. If only those who fit the answers reply then you will draw the wrong conclusion. Your questions might be better if the answers were graded -5 to +5 so -5 means strongly disagree and +5 means strongly agree with a statement. 0 could be neutral.
We all love research but we need to answer honestly and the options you have are too restricted for some of us.
Regards
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

I did it, but I am 25 and have very few lingering issues. I have been lucky so far.

I think you need an option for people like me to answer, so far this has actually made my life better. It has made me stronger, happier, and closer to everyone I know and love.

for example the question, "I look forward with enjoyment to things" my answer to that is more so than I ever have before this disease. It has truly given me appreciation for this world and my life. I was never a happy person, I was always content in life as long as I wasn't upset. Now I am truly happy and enjoy everything this world has to offer. I have seen the bottom of the barrel (through my second relapse) and everything better than how I was then is as good as gold to me.
DrGeoff
Family Elder

Post by DrGeoff »

Read the comments from Scott1 carefully ...

You are:
Asking the wrong questions.
Asking questions where the appropriate answers do not fit the available categories.
Using scales that have too big a margin for error.
Some of the questions really do not look appropriate to what you want to find out.

Suggest that you use any responses that you get as a pilot study. Use them to come up with an appropriate question set that will cover a lot more of the People With MS (PWMS).
HINT: You need to look carefully about changes in fatigue after a medication addition or change.

Now take a look at the approach called the Osgood Semantic Differential. As an example:
Question/Statement: For me, general fatigue is the worst part of MS.
Response choice: On a scale from 1 to 100, where 1 = totally disagree and 100 = totally agree, I rate myself as ....

The big advantage is that the answers all come up as percentages - which makes analysis much easier.
Also the response is much more fine-grained (1% steps and not 14% steps as you get with a 7-point scale).

The big tricks are using the right statements/questions.
Using the right response terms.
Reversing them at random so that 100 can be appropriate for either total response. (this avoids people writing the same number down all the time.

Feel free to PM me if you need more information ...

Geoff