Could MS be caused by a retrovirus?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MSUK
Family Elder

Could MS be caused by a retrovirus?

Post by MSUK »

Could drugs shown to successfully treat HIV also be used to quell MS? To find out, researchers explore remnants of ancient viruses locked with the human genome.

Two new studies are under way to test antiretroviral medications on multiple sclerosis (MS) patients. This research is spurred by a narrowly accepted theory that MS may be triggered by human endogenous retroviruses...... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/bacteriaandviruses
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
Kronk
Family Elder

Re: Could MS be caused by a retrovirus?

Post by Kronk »

In my mind there is no question.

Researchers seem to agree that Epstein Barr Virus in particular is a pre-requisite for MS.
Leonard
Family Elder

Post by Leonard »

agreed.
where Zovirax could help, anti-HIV might also help.

with ref to http://www.ms-uk.org/bacteriaandviruses
I don't think that it is the remnants as such that get reactivated.
the remnants leave epitodes on the cell walls that are recognised by (cross couple with) EBV immune complexes.
so the EBV immune complexes cause what appears as the action against the 'self'; but this is not the cause of the demyelination.

the high EBV immune complexes are caused by a chronically active EBV infection.
this is kept high through the fat metabolism (Fatty Acid Synthase) among other factors (here Swank find an explanation).
the high EBV blocks the OPC differentiation and therefore dendrocytes are not replenished in time.
and the nerve runs back..
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

It doesn't seem to matter which way you join the dots, EBV always pops up.

I doubt solving the EBV part in isolation will deliver a final solution. The general condition is important as well. It's interesting to note that a treatment aimed at preserving immune function has positive effects.

Regards
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

[/quote]Re: Could MS be caused by a retrovirus?

Postby Kronk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:24 pm
In my mind there is no question.

Researchers seem to agree that Epstein Barr Virus in particular is a pre-requisite for MS.
I don't know if this means anything or not but this February I ended up in the hospital for a week. But it wasn't for MS which I've had for 18 years. It turns out I had mononucleosis. The doctor said its caused by the Epstein Barr Virus. He also said you can only get it if you've never had it before. To me that suggests that I never had EBV before, even at the time I got MS. BTW I have PPMS which is possibly not the same disease as RRMS. I suppose it's possible that I had the EBV virus lurking in my body and only attacking me when I got into a run down condition.

Anyway mono made me sicker than I have ever been before. Thought I was going to die. It's been two months since I was released from the hospital and I'm still not back to normal.
Leonard
Family Elder

Post by Leonard »

Scott1 wrote:It doesn't seem to matter which way you join the dots, EBV always pops up.

I doubt solving the EBV part in isolation will deliver a final solution. The general condition is important as well. It's interesting to note that a treatment aimed at preserving immune function has positive effects.

Regards
I would agree. anti-viral alone won't do the trick. resurrecting the immune system will work towards the final solution.
strengthening mitochondria will be critical for that, i.e. antioxidants and phyto/micro nutritions that form the Wahls diet.
these neurologists are thinking in the right direction: http://www.msif.org/includes/documents/ ... al.pdf?f=1

Return to “General Discussion”