Could increasing magnesium level reduce ebv load in pwms?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Could increasing magnesium level reduce ebv load in pwms?

Post by Anonymoose »

This is interesting...
Abstract
The magnesium transporter 1 (MAGT1) is a critical regulator of basal intracellular free magnesium (Mg(2+)) concentrations. Individuals with genetic deficiencies in MAGT1 have high levels of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) and a predisposition to lymphoma. Abstract
The magnesium transporter 1 (MAGT1) is a critical regulator of basal intracellular free magnesium (Mg(2+)) concentrations. Individuals with genetic deficiencies in MAGT1 have high levels of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) and a predisposition to lymphoma. We show that decreased intracellular free Mg(2+) causes defective expression of the natural killer activating receptor NKG2D in natural killer (NK) and CD8(+) T cells and impairs cytolytic responses against EBV. Notably, magnesium supplementation in MAGT1-deficient patients restores intracellular free Mg(2+) and NKG2D while concurrently reducing EBV-infected cells in vivo, demonstrating a link between NKG2D cytolytic activity and EBV antiviral immunity in humans. Moreover, these findings reveal a specific molecular function of free basal intracellular Mg(2+) in eukaryotic cells. that decreased intracellular free Mg(2+) causes defective expression of the natural killer activating receptor NKG2D in natural killer (NK) and CD8(+) T cells and impairs cytolytic responses against EBV. Notably, magnesium supplementation in MAGT1-deficient patients restores intracellular free Mg(2+) and NKG2D while concurrently reducing EBV-infected cells in vivo, demonstrating a link between NKG2D cytolytic activity and EBV antiviral immunity in humans. Moreover, these findings reveal a specific molecular function of free basal intracellular Mg(2+) in eukaryotic cells.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23846901/

According to Pender, msers do have insufficient cd8+ T cell response to ebv. Jimmylegs has shown studies that indicate msers have less than optimal levels of magnesium. Maybe we can influence our ebv response by increasing our magnesium levels.

I don't recommend high dosing with magnesium supplements in absence of taking great effort to cover and measure co factors and competing nutrients as well. Increasing mag level would be best done through proper dietary changes with minimal supplementation (just saying because I used to just start loading up on the magic nutrient of the day, oblivious to the involvement of co factors...it won't work that way!).
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Could increasing magnesium level reduce ebv load in pwms

Post by jimmylegs »

not sure which aspect worked specifically, but i optimized nutrients for a very close family friend specifically to target her chronic ebv infection. she got better (confirmed via before and after viral load testing). not an ms patient, but there it is.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

On a similar note...thoughts on aluminum magnesium silicate? The aluminum part concerns me but I've stumbled upon a couple of pages claiming it to be anti-viral, anti-retroviral. Here's an article that explains it best (there is at least one in vitro study...haven't dug that much). Also don't know how you can get it other than in small amounts in things like pepto bismol.
http://www.ipaidabribenaija.com/health/ ... eakthrough
A group of Nigerian scientists have found what could be a novel treatment for Human Immune-deficiency Virus, HIV, infection that may slash the cost of treatment. The team of scientists, including graduate

students and researchers from the Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia state, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, and the Federal Medical Centre, Umuahia, Nigeria have been able to show that synthetic Aluminum-magnesium silicate (AMS) has antiretroviral effects that could lay a perfect track for affordable and effective therapy for HIV.

Results

Results of their work titled "Assessment of Antiretroviral Effects of a Synthetic Aluminum-magnesium Silicate" published in the British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research and featured on SCIENCEDOMAIN international shows a significant reduction in the titres of the virus when HIV positive plasma was incubated with AMS.

Head, Department of Veterinary Medicine at Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, and the lead scientist, Professor Maduike Ezeibe, said the discovery could provide an ultimate cure for the virus that has defiled so many scientific efforts to curtail it in the past.

Ezeibe reacted aluminium silicate with magnesium silicate to obtain the synthetic aluminum-magnesium silicate devoid of impurities.

Giving further details Ezeibe noted: "Molecules of aluminum-magnesium silicate have platelets that possess both negative and positive electrical charges on their surfaces and their edges. HIV on the other hand is negatively charged. So the simple scientific understanding that opposite charges attracts ensures that the HIV virus binds to the AMS and is discharged from the body alongside."

Existing medicine

"AMS is normally used as a stabilizing medicine that does not really have toxic effect on the patient, so it makes it a suitable agent for mopping up HIV virus from the body," he said.

In the Journal, Ezeibe stated that "possession of both negative and positive electrical charges makes AMS a broad spectrum antiviral medicine."

"AMS, if used in combination of selected antibiotics and immune stimulant may achieve a 'cure' for HIV," the lead researcher of the work said.

"When a significant number of particles of invading viruses adsorb onto its (AMS) molecules instead of onto their hosts cells, viral infections are terminated," Ezeibe noted.

The author noted also that "Adsorbing out HIV means that millions of new virions usually released from each infected cell would be inhibited from establishing new infections in more cells," adding, "Thus, HIV would be prevented from overwhelming the body immune systems and the Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) stage may be prevented.which case Ezeibe said a cure could be achieved.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

selenium is relevant when it comes to HIV

Role of selenium in HIV infection.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20961297
HIV infection is a global disease that disproportionately burdens populations with nutritional vulnerabilities. Laboratory experiments have shown that selenium has an inhibitory effect on HIV in vitro through antioxidant effects of glutathione peroxidase and other selenoproteins. Numerous studies have reported low selenium status in HIV-infected individuals, and serum selenium concentration declines with disease progression. Some cohort studies have shown an association between selenium deficiency and progression to AIDS or mortality. In several randomized controlled trials, selenium supplementation has reduced hospitalizations and diarrheal morbidity, and improved CD4(+) cell counts, but the evidence remains mixed. Additional trials are recommended to study the effect of selenium supplementation on opportunistic infections, and other HIV disease-related comorbidities in the context of highly active antiretroviral therapy in both developing and developed countries.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

jimmylegs wrote:selenium is relevant when it comes to HIV

Role of selenium in HIV infection.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20961297
HIV infection is a global disease that disproportionately burdens populations with nutritional vulnerabilities. Laboratory experiments have shown that selenium has an inhibitory effect on HIV in vitro through antioxidant effects of glutathione peroxidase and other selenoproteins. Numerous studies have reported low selenium status in HIV-infected individuals, and serum selenium concentration declines with disease progression. Some cohort studies have shown an association between selenium deficiency and progression to AIDS or mortality. In several randomized controlled trials, selenium supplementation has reduced hospitalizations and diarrheal morbidity, and improved CD4(+) cell counts, but the evidence remains mixed. Additional trials are recommended to study the effect of selenium supplementation on opportunistic infections, and other HIV disease-related comorbidities in the context of highly active antiretroviral therapy in both developing and developed countries.
Snort! At least my bizarre tangent had the *word* magnesium in it! Lol That was my fault. I'll try to stay on topic if you do. :P
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

all right smarty panonts (it's late, that's all i got)
ok these better? now with extra superheroes:

Magnesium regulates antiviral immunity
http://www.nature.com/nri/journal/v13/n ... i3501.html
Mutation of the magnesium transporter 1 (MAGT1) gene results in a primary immunodeficiency known as XMEN (X-linked immunodeficiency with Mg2 defect, EBV infection and neoplasia).

Magnesium Supplements May Reduce Viral Infection in “XMEN” Patients
http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/immuneS ... gXMEN.aspx
magnesium supplements may be an effective therapy for controlling EBV infection in XMEN patients
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

I was hoping you had something on mg2+ or magt1 levels in msers. I don't have the proper background for this!! Do you suppose serum mag is a better indicator of free mg2+ than rbc mag is?? Do serum tests measure the free stuff? Maybe they both work since the normal ranges and optimal ranges seem to translate fairly proportionately between serum mag and rbc mag?

Oh my! It was late, wasn't it? Lol
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

it was late for me :) first real big hiking effort since injury over a yr ago!

possibly informative:

Serum ionized versus total magnesium in patients with intestinal or liver disease
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9804396
In serum, magnesium exists in three fractions: protein-bound, complex-bound and free ionized form. Only the free ionized fraction is biologically active. Until recently, only the measurement of serum total magnesium has been in clinical use. Now, commercially available instruments using new ion-selective electrodes for Mg++ have made possible the reliable measurement of serum ionized magnesium in clinical practice. ... In the patient group the fraction of ionized magnesium in the total was negatively related to the serum albumin level (r=-0.41, p<0.001)*. Serum total magnesium was below the reference range in 30 out of 150 measurements, serum ionized magnesium in only 9 out of 150 measurements, respectively. Thus, 21 cases with low total but normal ionized magnesium (two thirds of hypomagnesemia according to serum total magnesium) were false positive. Total magnesium measurement may overestimate the incidence of hypomagnesemia when significant hypoalbuminemia is present. Measurement of serum ionized magnesium instead of total magnesium may therefore be of advantage in evaluating patients with hypoalbuminemia and when hypomagnesemia is expected.

* hello, zinc

given what we know about the serum reference range, and a *positive* correlation between zinc and albumin, the interpretation looks just a little off here... 7:| 'don't worry about your stupid deficient serum mag level, because your ionized mag still looks fine. just ignore that zinc deficiency part of the picture'

Albumin as a zinc carrier: properties of its high-affinity zinc-binding site
http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/19021 ... C0ccQBD.20
Although details of the molecular mechanisms for the uptake of the essential nutrient zinc into the bloodstream and its subsequent delivery to zinc-requiring organs and cells are poorly understood, it is clear that in vertebrates the majority of plasma zinc (9-14 microM; approx. 75-85%) is bound to serum albumin, constituting part of the so-called exchangeable pool. ... Comparisons of X-ray crystal structures of free and fatty-acid bound human serum albumin suggest that zinc binding to this site and fatty acid binding to one of the five major sites may be interdependent. Interactive binding of zinc and long-chain fatty acids to albumin may therefore have physiological implications.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Did I read that correctly? The fraction of mg2+ in total serum mag is inversely related to serum albumin. So, the lower the albumin the greater the percentage of mg2+ in total serum mag? If so, greeeaaattt...another complication. If zinc increases albumin, then wouldn't you be decreasing the fraction (not necessarily the total) of free mg2+ by taking zinc? Wonder if there's a zinc mg2+ study. Agoogling I go...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i haven't had coffee yet :S but yes it looks like if your albumin is up, which it should be with higher zinc, then you could expect the mg2+ fraction to be lower.
tried searching all three together - first title:

The effects of albumin, magnesium, and zinc on human sperm survival in different fractions of split ejaculates.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4442614

yep. gonna go make food and coffee now.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

before i go, i like this detailed info on mag distribution :

Magnesium Metabolism and its Disorders
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1855626/
The normal adult human body contains approximately 1,000 mmols of magnesium (22–26 g).4 The distribution of magnesium within the body is shown in Table 2. About 60% of the magnesium is present in bone, of which 30% is exchangeable and functions as a reservoir to stabilise the serum concentration. About 20% is in skeletal muscle, 19% in other soft tissues and less than 1% in the extracellular fluid. Skeletal muscle and liver contain between 7–9 mmol/Kg wet tissue; between 20–30% of this is readily exchangeable. In normal adults, total serum magnesium ranges between 0.70 and 1.10 mmol/L. Approximately 20% of this is protein bound, 65% is ionised and the rest is complexed with various anions such as phosphate and citrate.4 Of the protein bound fraction, 60–70% is associated with albumin and the rest is bound to globulins.5 The reference range for serum ionised magnesium concentration (0.54–0.67 mmol/L) is narrower than that for calcium.4 Acid base disturbances (metabolic acidosis or alkalosis) have little effect on the distribution of serum magnesium. The concentration of magnesium in CSF is around 1.1 mmol/L, of which 55% is free and 45% is complexed with other compounds.6 The higher ultrafiltrable magnesium in CSF compared to serum is due to active transport of magnesium across the blood-brain barrier.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Welp...this has derailed for me. I won't even type out where my mind wound up...way out in theory and but if land. Lol

I think I'll just keep it simple and work my mag levels up.

(Withholding commentary on your pre-breakfast studies :lol: )
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

sounds good :) get em all into the same spot as 'healthies' and worry about fine details when and if there's still a problem!