Foot Drop?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
meg40185

Foot Drop?

Post by meg40185 »

I do a lot of step cardio and fitness walking. Here lately my right foot has been scuffing and causing me to fall or almost fall in many instances. When I'm walking, I try to lift my knee higher, but it feels like I'm already lifting it high enough. I'm confused as to why this is happening. Is this foot drop? My right side has always been affected more with this disease than my left. I have an appt. with my neuro tomorrow, but I just wanted to get an idea from others before I go in there. I'm sure he's going to want another MRI to check up on lesions, especially with a new symptom. Thanks everyone!
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Foot Drop?

Post by lyndacarol »

meg40185 wrote:I do a lot of step cardio and fitness walking. Here lately my right foot has been scuffing and causing me to fall or almost fall in many instances. When I'm walking, I try to lift my knee higher, but it feels like I'm already lifting it high enough. I'm confused as to why this is happening. Is this foot drop? My right side has always been affected more with this disease than my left. I have an appt. with my neuro tomorrow, but I just wanted to get an idea from others before I go in there. I'm sure he's going to want another MRI to check up on lesions, especially with a new symptom. Thanks everyone!
Hi meg,
I encourage you to watch the following video:
Weakness, falling, and fatigue are listed among the red flags in the Part 1 story of JJ.

Part 2 (@17:40): The story of Dr. W. David Carr, pediatrician

@22:08 TESTS: Serum B12; HoloTranscobalamin; Homocysteine: Methylmalonic Acid; Unsaturated B12 Binding Capacity
@24:10 High Risk Groups: Family history of B12 deficiency: Pregnant Women (@26:06); Vegetarians; The Elderly

RED FLAGS: toe dragging/steppage gait (foot drop), unsteadiness/loss of balance, Multiple System Atrophy (Olivo-ponto-cerebellar Atrophy), optic neuritis, hearing loss, speech problems, panic disorder, muscle wasting, temperature dysregulation, anorexia, diarrhea, malabsorption, anger & depression,

Dr. Carr thinks it is odd that B12 is not routinely tested.

If your doctor has not tested for a vitamin B12 deficiency, I urge you to request that he do so. (The first blood test – the Serum B12 – is one of the least expensive blood tests; it costs about $90.) If you are found to have a vitamin B12 deficiency, it is easily treated with B12 supplementation (about $40 per year).

In the book, Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses, (By the way, I recommend the book – asked your library if they have it.) the authors repeatedly state their opinion that it is negligence for doctors NOT to test for B12 deficiency. Even the University of Chicago guidelines for investigating peripheral neuropathy list vitamin B12 deficiency testing FIRST:

http://peripheralneuropathycenter.uchic ... #bloodtest
abeille

Re: Foot Drop?

Post by abeille »

hi,

maybe you could try this until you really need something more substantial.

http://www.vsathletics.com/store/Foot-Flexr.html