Heat = MS symptoms - Nerves or Blood Flow Restriction?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Heat = MS symptoms - Nerves or Blood Flow Restriction?

Postby THX1138 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:24 am

I have repeatedly noticed with myself that the warming of my body causes:
1) Louder, tighter sounding tinnitus
2) Worsening of most MS symptoms

I have wondered what is the true cause of the above symptoms. It is looking like heat causes the body to have exterior vasodilation and interior vasoconstriction. This also fits with what a doctor once told me. Any of us that are into the blood flow aspects of MS know that excessive vasoconstriction is NOT our friend.

I take from this that, in people with MS, exposure to heat and the body's reaction to it (specifically interior vasoconstriction) causes further constriction of the blood flow, causing worsened MS symptoms.
When body temperature rises above the set point, nerve impulses stimulate structures in the skin and other organs to release heat. For example, during physical exercise, active muscles release heat, which the blood carries away. The warmed blood reaches the part of the brain (the hypothalamus) that controls the body’s temperature set point, which signals muscles in the walls of dermal blood vessels to relax. As these vessels dilate (vasodilation), more blood enters them, and some of the heat the blood carries escapes to the outside. At the same time, deeper blood vessels contract (vasoconstriction), diverting blood to the surface, and the skin reddens. The heart is stimulated to beat faster, moving more blood out of the deeper regions.
https://www.inkling.com/read/holes-human-anatomy-physiology-david-shier-12th/chapter-6/regulation-of-body-temperature

Any feedback on my ideas would be appreciated.
THX1138
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: Heat = MS symptoms - Nerves or Blood Flow Restriction?

Postby David1951 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:15 pm

You should also consider the energy required to sweat. Sweating can require up to 300 calories per hour. Additionally it requires electrolytes. These are resources anyone with a metabolic disorder can quickly deplete and cause their condition to rapidly worsen.
David1951
Getting to Know You...

Postby tzootsi » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:07 am

Although I am a proponent of the CCSVI theory, ms heat problems most likely due to the fact that nerves don't conduct signals as well when they are warm.
tzootsi
Family Elder

Postby THX1138 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:52 am

tzootsi wrote:Although I am a proponent of the CCSVI theory, ms heat problems most likely due to the fact that nerves don't conduct signals as well when they are warm.

I used to think that too, until my first amazing experience with the niacin flush, which I have written about here on TiMS. For me, it has become all about proper blood-flow. There is no going back for me.
THX1138
Family Elder

Postby cheerleader » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:49 pm

We've had this come up a few times on the CCSVI forums.
chronic-cerebrospinal-venous-insufficiency-ccsvi-f40/topic11354.html
chronic-cerebrospinal-venous-insufficiency-ccsvi-f40/topic11559.html
chronic-cerebrospinal-venous-insufficiency-ccsvi-f40/topic7540-15.html

The venous system is responsible for cooling the brain.
http://www.scopemed.org/?mno=25023
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8838492

Dr. Flanagan explains it well---

In brief, the net effect of heat production in the brain and brain cooling keeps the brain cooler than the rest of the body and is achieved by surrounding and bathing the brain with venous blood that has been cooled outside the cranial vault, by bone and fat acting as insulation, by the veins of the face and scalp through conduction, convection, sweat and evaporation and by cooled venous blood flowing through the cavernous and suboccipital cavernous sinuses cooling incoming blood in the internal carotid and vertebral arteries before it enters the brain. The combined effect of the brain cooling system keeps the temperature inside the vault and brain about two to three degrees cooler than the rest of the body. The effect is important enough that some physical anthropologists attribute the extra-large size of the human brain more to its exceptional cooling capacity than to the increase in arterial blood flow that comes with upright posture. Anthropologists refer to human encephalization due to enhanced brain cooling capacity as the "radiator theory".

It is interesting to note that recent research by Dr. Paulo Zamboni suggests that obstruction of the drainage system of the brain, which he calls chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency (CCSVI) can cause multiple sclerosis (MS). Dr. Zamboni attributes the cause of CCSVI to obstruction in the jugular veins (one of the main extracranial drainage routes). As I discuss in my book, it is similarly possible that, chronic craniocervical venous back pressure (CCVBP) due to misalignments and other problems of the upper cervical spine can lead to neurodegenerative processes and subsequent MS similar to CCSVI. In contrast to the internal jugular veins, CCVBP affects the vertebral veins. The cavernous and suboccipital cavernous sinues, as well as most of the brain, drain into two extracranial venous drainage routes. One is the internal jugular veins, the other system empties into the vertebral veins. Thus, in addition to venous outflow, CCSVI due to jugular stenosis and faulty valves, and CCVBP due to upper cervical misalignments can affect brain cooling capacity due their impact on venous outflow and arterial cooling in the cavernous and suboccipital cavernous sinuses. Interestingly, in addition to many other signs and symptoms a common complaint among MS patients is heat intolerance. It is possible that both CCSVI and CCVBP can decrease the cooling capacity of the brain and thus contribute to the heat intolerance seen in many MS patients.

http://www.upright-health.com/brain-cooling.html

When the brain is overheated, nerve transmission is affected, and fatigue and heat intolerence are increased. Jeff used to have terrible heat intolerence. He had to sleep all day during the summer, could barely move. We tried cooling vests and hats, but they didn't help. After successful venoplasty to repair his dural sinus stenosis, his heat intolerence went away, and has been gone for 5 years. He just came inside from working on our land for four hours (clearing brush, chain-sawing, gathering wood) in 95 degree heat, in the middle of a summer day. Covered in sweat and smiling. Must be placebo....
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion