A-fib & MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
AdiosMS
Getting to Know You...

A-fib & MS

Post by AdiosMS »

I have been battling a-fib for apx. 8 months. Rhythmol caused severe side effects & was discontinued. It made me so tired & lethargic, I was broken down emotionally. Now, I've been switched to metaprolol 25 mg & flecainide acetate 50 mg. Anyone has any experience with afib & MS?

Help.
THX1138
Family Elder

Re: A-fib & MS

Post by THX1138 »

Low (non-healthy levels) of magnesium help to contribute to many MS symptoms and A-Fib.
“Anyone in A-Fib is almost certainly magnesium deficient.” 4 Adequate intracellular magnesium is essential to normal tissue and organ function. Low magnesium is associated with cardiac abnormalities, fibrillation, and vascular and muscle spasms, and is seen in cardiac failure.
While Magnesium (Mg) is one of the main components of heart cell functioning, it seems to be chronically lacking in most diets. “Magnesium deficiencies range from 65% to 80% in general populations in the US and globally.” 5
- See more at: http://a-fib.com/treatments-for-atrial- ... Ij82I.dpuf
http://a-fib.com/treatments-for-atrial- ... iciencies/
The multifaceted and widespread pathology of magnesium deficiency.
Johnson S.
Author information

sjohnson@qwksilvr.com
Abstract
Even though Mg is by far the least abundant serum electrolyte, it is extremely important for the metabolism of Ca, K, P, Zn, Cu, Fe, Na, Pb, Cd, HCl, acetylcholine, and nitric oxide (NO), for many enzymes, for the intracellular homeostasis and for activation of thiamine and therefore, for a very wide gamut of crucial body functions. Unfortunately, Mg absorption and elimination depend on a very large number of variables, at least one of which often goes awry, leading to a Mg deficiency that can present with many signs and symptoms. Mg absorption requires plenty of Mg in the diet, Se, parathyroid hormone (PTH) and vitamins B6 and D. Furthermore, it is hindered by excess fat. On the other hand, Mg levels are decreased by excess ethanol, salt, phosphoric acid (sodas) and coffee intake, by profuse sweating, by intense, prolonged stress, by excessive menstruation and vaginal flux, by diuretics and other drugs and by certain parasites (pinworms). The very small probability that all the variables affecting Mg levels will behave favorably, results in a high probability of a gradually intensifying Mg deficiency. It is highly regrettable that the deficiency of such an inexpensive, low-toxicity nutrient result in diseases that cause incalculable suffering and expense throughout the world. The range of pathologies associated with Mg deficiency is staggering: hypertension (cardiovascular disease, kidney and liver damage, etc.), peroxynitrite damage (migraine, multiple sclerosis, glaucoma, Alzheimer's disease, etc.), recurrent bacterial infection due to low levels of nitric oxide in the cavities (sinuses, vagina, middle ear, lungs, throat, etc.), fungal infections due to a depressed immune system, thiamine deactivation (low gastric acid, behavioral disorders, etc.), premenstrual syndrome, Ca deficiency (osteoporosis, hypertension, mood swings, etc.), tooth cavities, hearing loss, diabetes type II, cramps, muscle weakness, impotence (lack of NO), aggression (lack of NO), fibromas, K deficiency (arrhythmia, hypertension, some forms of cancer), Fe accumulation, etc. Finally, because there are so many variables involved in the Mg metabolism, evaluating the effect of Mg in many diseases has frustrated many researchers who have simply tried supplementation with Mg, without undertaking the task of ensuring its absorption and preventing excessive elimination, rendering the study of Mg deficiency much more difficult than for most other nutrients.

PMID: 11425281 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11425281

The underestimated problem of using serum magnesium measurements to exclude magnesium deficiency in adults; a health warning is needed for "normal" results.
Ismail Y1, Ismail AA, Ismail AA.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
A major use of serum magnesium measurements in clinical practice is to identify patients with deficiency. However, numerous studies have shown that magnesium deficiency is common and may be present in over 10% of hospitalized patients, as well as in the general population. An important cause for under diagnosis of deficiency is that serum magnesium, the most commonly used test, can be normal despite negative body stores. This article focuses on the limitations of "normal" magnesium results and highlights the importance of lifestyle or "modus vivendi" as a pragmatic means of identifying those individuals potentially at risk for negative body magnesium stores.

METHODS:
Researched peer reviewed articles on magnesium published between 1990 and 2008 in MEDLINE and EMBASE, using database keywords "magnesium, deficiency, diagnosis, treatment and hypomagnesaemia". Bibliographies of retrieved articles have been searched and followed. We have also performed a manual search of each individual issue in which most of these reports have appeared.

RESULTS:
In 183 peer reviewed studies published from 1990 to 2008, magnesium deficiency was associated with increased prevalence and risk in 11 major conditions. Similarly, in 68 studies performed over the same period, magnesium deficiency was found to predict adverse events and a decreased risk of pathology was noted when supplementation or treatment was instituted.

CONCLUSIONS:
The perception that "normal" serum magnesium excludes deficiency is common among clinicians. This perception is probably enforced by the common laboratory practice of highlighting only abnormal results. A health warning is therefore warranted regarding potential misuse of "normal" serum magnesium because restoration of magnesium stores in deficient patients is simple, tolerable, inexpensive and can be clinically beneficial.

PMID: 20170394 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20170394
AdiosMS
Getting to Know You...

Post by AdiosMS »

Thanks. I didn't realize magnesium was so important. I guess I only had the importance of Vit D in mind. I can go to nutritiondata.com and figure out what has a lot of magnesium, but does any one have thoughts/ideas/diets that manage to incorporate enough magnesium to be the appropriate levels?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

AdiosMS wrote:Thanks. I didn't realize magnesium was so important. I guess I only had the importance of Vit D in mind. I can go to nutritiondata.com and figure out what has a lot of magnesium, but does any one have thoughts/ideas/diets that manage to incorporate enough magnesium to be the appropriate levels?
This might be helpful.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... nt&dbid=75
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

Supplementing with magnesium may be helpful but it is important to understand we need all the vitamins and minerals. Start incorporating raw fruits and vegetables and you will get magnesium and all the other vitamins and minerals your body needs. Hippocrates told us "Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food". Your health is the result of what you put in your body. Let Dr. Bergman explain autoimmune disease and how to get your health back. The doctor cannot do it. You have to do it.

AdiosMS
Getting to Know You...

Post by AdiosMS »

Just got lab values back reflecting magnesium level of 2.0, reference range of 1l8-2.4 mg/dl. I read the above post indicating that lab values may not truly reflect a Mg deficiency. Any thoughts, anyone? This a-fib makes me anxious, stressed. I 'm doing what I can to be well. On top of MS ...
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

AdiosMS wrote:Just got lab values back reflecting magnesium level of 2.0, reference range of 1l8-2.4 mg/dl. I read the above post indicating that lab values may not truly reflect a Mg deficiency. Any thoughts, anyone? This a-fib makes me anxious, stressed. I 'm doing what I can to be well. On top of MS ...
I am responding to your question. "Chest pain" and "tachycardia" are symptoms of a vitamin B12 deficiency, as well as low magnesium. There can be a B12 deficiency in the blood; there can also be a cellular or functional B12 deficiency in the cells – such as heart muscle cells.

Return to “General Discussion”