Colgate Total

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
want2bike
Family Elder

Colgate Total

Post by want2bike »

Anyone using Colgate Total should be aware of the chemicals in it. Even if you are not worried about the fluoride which is a known poison there are other poisons in the toothpaste. Important to understand the chemicals we are exposed to. You can't keep putting chemicals in your body and expect to be healthy. I currently use baking soda as a toothpaste. My water is reverse osmosis.

DrGeoff
Family Elder

Re: Colgate Total

Post by DrGeoff »

Why pick on Colgate Total?

It has always interested me that toothpastes with "fluoride added" (for what ever reason) are allowed to be sold in areas where fluoride is added to the water coming from a public utility company.
Fluoride in the water - no problem.
Fluoride in toothpaste - no problem.
Put the two of them together and maybe exceed a safe dose ... ...

If you really don't like Colgate (or any other toothpaste with added fluoride) don't bleat about it to us, go and organize a protest about it outside Albertsons, Walmart, or whichever large retailer takes your fancy. Ask why the sell a redundant product which may (please note the "may") harm children using it. See who responds first - the store company, the toothpaste company, the local public health officer, whoever ... .

Try it and see.

Geoff
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

Thanks want2bike,
I just received this notification in my email this a.m. All these "small doses" add up and just are not good for my m.s./CCSVI
veins. I appreciate the info.
Last edited by dlynn on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

dlynn wrote:Thanks want2bike,
I just received this notification in my email this a.m. All these "small doses" add up and just are not good for my m.s./CCSVI
veins. I appreciate the info.
There have been similar recent warnings about the cumulative effects of ibuprofen in children's Tylenol, cough syrup, and other children's OTC products in which ibuprofen is found. dlynn is right: "All these 'small doses' add up."
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I believe RO (reverse osmosis) filters out the fluoride (at least I hope it does as I drink from water filtered with one).

What toothpastes DO NOT have fluoride added?
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

ElliotB wrote:I believe RO (reverse osmosis) filters out the fluoride (at least I hope it does as I drink from water filtered with one).

What toothpastes DO NOT have fluoride added?
I'm assuming that this is NOT a rhetorical question.
Several:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_ ... Caps%2C266
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I just found and bought some toothpaste today at my local supermarket that is fluoride free, TOMS.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

I used to use Tom's of Maine until someone told me of the less than optimal nature of SLS. Sorry, I just had to share. :)

Colgate Total is, IMO, sickeningly sweet/bland also.

It sure is great to have choices to choose from, even though too many possible choices can be overwhelming sometimes.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

" less than optimal nature of SLS"

What does this mean?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

related research
Awareness of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate & Sodium Laureth Sulfate Health Hazards among Users
http://jofamericanscience.org/journals/ ... 35_541.pdf

El-Sharkawy, G. F. (2011). Awareness of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate & Sodium Laureth Sulfate Health Hazards among Users. Journal of American Science, 7(4).
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

So what do you guys recommend?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

one option:
http://www.greenbeaver.com/oral/tootpaste.html

also, fwiw:
Health risks from drinking demineralised water.
http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_hea ... f#page=157
Kozisek, F. (2005). Health risks from drinking demineralised water. Nutrients in Drinking Water, 148-163.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

The original post was all about triclosan.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-1 ... total.html
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

want2bike wrote:Even if you are not worried about the fluoride ...
DrGeoff wrote:It has always interested me that toothpastes with "fluoride added" (for what ever reason) are allowed to be sold in areas where fluoride is added to the water coming from a public utility company.
Fluoride in the water - no problem.
Fluoride in toothpaste - no problem.
Put the two of them together and maybe exceed a safe dose ... ...
Geoff
interestingly, in my area the background level is around 0.1-0.15 ppm - not considered protective. in local areas serviced by fluoridated water, the range is 0.5-0.8 ppm.

I have read that early work established 1.0 ppm as a cutoff to prevent fluorosis, and that Colorado springs, one of the original sites involved in the development of current fluoridation practice, had a background level of 2.6 ppm. if memory serves, there's an EPA toxicity cutoff of some kind at 4.0 ppm.

toothpaste is usually on the order of 1000-1500 ppm and so I guess absorption via mucous membranes is not sufficient to match 2.0 ppm in water, or we'd all be seeing it in our teeth. I find it more challenging to find good research on effects other than fluorosis, but filtering on current year publications elicited these

interesting variety of recent publications:
http://scholar.google.ca/scholar?as_ylo ... as_sdt=0,5

also, some science related to w2b's original colgate post:
Triclosan: environmental exposure, toxicity and mechanisms of action
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... F05.f01t02?
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

All below, is ramblings with little checked science content :oops:

jimmylegs wrote:toothpaste is usually on the order of 1000-1500 ppm and so I guess absorption via mucous membranes is not sufficient to match 2.0 ppm in water, or we'd all be seeing it in our teeth. I find it more challenging to find good research on effects other than fluorosis, but filtering on current year publications elicited these
I try to avoid swallowing (ie tap water) fluoride as much as possible. Although I do not think fluoride specifically caused my MS, it sits firmly in the "keep yourself as healthy as possible would help my body minimise its progression", so avoid "poisons"

I always wondered how fluoride actually assists dental health, until about a few months ago on a medical documentary (on TV, not google scholar or such, and have not researched further), some guys explained in passing, that when fluoride has contact with teeth, the normal human tooth enamel undergoes a chemical reaction/change which forms a new substance which is many times stronger against the acid that causes tooth decay. In addition to this, I remembered that in the old days (do not know if they still do this) when you had a "fluoride treatment" at the dentist, it was placed in a mouth guard that you held in your mouth (ie in contact with your teeth) and you were told NOT TO SWALLOW ANY. So logically to me, I would really question if we should be constantly consuming it, or maybe only be using a higher content ADULT toothpaste. I can only think that people wished to avoid poisoning kids who swallowed the very poisonous, heavily flavoured foam in their mouths. :?

Return to “General Discussion”