So I guess this was a relapse?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

So I guess this was a relapse?

Postby Youarethecure » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:21 pm

About a month ago my legs went basically numb up to my waist. Started off in both feet and over a couple days made it to my waist and left it all numb. I had 0 feeling on my skin of my legs. There was also pins/needles and all that. I had no problems walking and even could work my legs out at the gym but couldnt feel it really.

Then three fingers on each hand went numb and extremely tight n stiff. They were very hard to move around and use.

My fingers are just about normal now and I have regained full feeling of my lower half. Although I am having the vibration feeling throughout my legs when touched. This has happened before, last year.

The more and more feeling I got back in my stomach I noticed how tight and uncomfortable it was. It also affected my hips and back. It almost felt like I had an elastic band crushing my hips around where I wear my pants. It literally felt like it was all cramped up and my muscles were tight when in reality they were perefectly normal.

This went away but soon came back a little higher multiple times getting a little higher each time. It made its way up to my lower chest and upper stomach. Then it moved back down and slowly has been getting better day by day. Now it only seems to be my right stomach, not left, no hips, no back either.

I also have been more tired again, get the migraines that are the exact pain from optic neuritis but my vision is not affected and its not constant. They float from side to side for a few minutes throughout the day. My itchy leg has returned, and my brain fog/cognition stoooopidity/memory has been affecting me too.

The main reason I think it was a relapse and not just symptoms bothering me more is bc I have never had the symptom that affected my stomach hips and back. From what I can tell seems like the "hug".

Whatever it was it is over, or it seems. My body is almost feeling 100 percent and I feel very similar to how I felt last year a couple months out of my serious relapse that got me diagnosed. These symptoms all eventually left and I felt 110 percent.

The other symptoms are not near as severe as last year but its just got me a little worried and scared, bc i am only 25 and didnt even make it 1 year without a relapse. Also last year, my symptoms came in waves and im scared this is just the beginning.

..... And heat has bothered me a little more than usual. But not too much that it affects me. I still work 12 hours a day in a hot kitcken.... and live in south florida. The heat just makes me a little sleepy, like just now I went in the hot tub and i was yawning non stop after 2 minutes. This also happens to me at the gym, I literally yawn through a set sometimes. I feel like I have every symptom but its just so mild..... at least for now.

Thanks for any insight,

Chris
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: So I guess this was a relapse?

Postby ElliotB » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:25 pm

I had a minor relapse that started this past March and is probably/hopefully just about over now, and like your situation, the symptoms are significantly minor compared to what got me diagnosed a year prior. Like you, I am very proactive with diet and exercise. Although I had a clean MRI just a couple of months prior to the start of the relapse (it took me almost two months to figure out it was a relapse), I was extremely surprised to even have a relapse (I thought I was 'safe' because of my clean MRI), it has had numerous benefits. I have learned a lot more about MRIs and the disease, which has caused me to rethink many things I do for myself. I continue to modify my diet to the point I am at now and feel my even stricter diet will help me with future successes. This relapse also prompted me to make additions/modifications to the supplements I take and again hope for future successes. And not only have I been able to increase my exercise program from what it was but I have the energy and stamina to do so. While I don't go to the gym, I do spend several hours every day doing some form of exercise. Hopefully your relapse is over now and you won't have another one for a long, long time. Feel well!
ElliotB
Family Elder

Postby Youarethecure » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:32 am

Thank you, I also had a clean mri not but a month or so before this.

I also forgot to mention before this all happened I had (and still do) a lot of phlegm and a stuffy nose. Almost like I have been fighting something or allergies maybe. I dont know but its been a whole now.Also I have been crazy broken out with acne, idk if that is related maybe? Or its just cuz I sweat so much at work through hot summer months.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Postby Youarethecure » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:23 pm

Now I am freaking out again. I have a faint pain in my left knee from idk what. Maybe, and hopefully I hit it somwhere and just dont remember. But last time this happened it eventually went basically limp and useless from th left leg down. It was "drop foot". It is not near as intense as last time and my back hurt last time as well. But I am so not down to have to deal with that again.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:14 pm

what's your daily regimen atm?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Youarethecure » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Same food, same medication, same supplements, same exercising/lifting but not as much because I am nursing a hurt shoulder. Still running a hot restaurant dealing with south Florida heat all day and night.

I just hope I'm not running my self into the ground and overdoing it, making it worse.

Or it just is what it is.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Postby ElliotB » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:35 am

"Still running a hot restaurant dealing with south Florida heat all day and night. "

Although I can tolerate it a lot better this year than last, heat has been an issue for me and is for many in our situation. You may need to make some changes here. Something you may want to consider is wearing a cooling vest at least part of the time to see if it helps you.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Postby Youarethecure » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:45 am

See the thing is heat on the spot doesn't bother me at all. I am just worried that the overall accumulation of it is wearing me thin.

I just always assumed the heat issue makes symptoms worsen or symptoms come up on the spot. That really doesn't happen.

I want to make cooling chef outfits and sell em! lol

My leg seems to be feeling normal, worrying for no reason !
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:00 am

glad you're feeling better. i searched your posts for one with the term 'serum' and got nothing - have you got test results posted anywhere by chance? also i wondered if you had gotten out of the habit of taking all your mag and d3 at once, at the same time each day, and started taking half the mag with d3 and half away, instead? if so, that will likely be helping keep things in line - as long as the relative amounts are right :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Youarethecure » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:10 pm

I have split them up since we talked last, thanks.

I dont see anything on my bloodwork about serum anything.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Postby ElliotB » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:21 am

Heat can be a 'trigger' for some. And/or can bring on tiredness, fatigue. And other symptoms. Heat affects different people differently, and some not at all.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:35 am

hi again :) sounds good - to clarify, you are still taking some mag with the d3 and some away? vs just taking the mag and d3 separately?
putting the word 'serum' on the lab results would probably be repetitive; i was just using it as a generic search term. did they run a standard set of blood work, or were any extra nutrient levels ordered? eg serum vitamin d3, serum vitamin b12, serum magnesium, serum zinc or anything like that?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Youarethecure » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:58 am

Just basic regular levels were checked.

I take some together but mostly I take them separately.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:25 am

ok - definitely best to take half your daily supplemental mag at the same time as the d3, and the other half of the daily mag well away, at some other time of day.

fyi low uric acid (with links to low zinc and elevated ammonia) is associated with relapse (although as usual all relapse/remission/healthy variation occurs within the normal range) so couldn't hurt to be sure the zinc status is optimal (ie HIGH normal). zinc status is affected by gluten, phytates, dairy, various sugars including alcohol, etc. i tried to work on UA via high purine diet for years, but it was only by correcting pre-existing zinc issues that the UA levels finally shot up to a satisfactory number. who knows what all the ammonia was doing to me in the meantime :S
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Return to General Discussion