Baclofen and Gabapentin combination

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
darwilliamsfan

Baclofen and Gabapentin combination

Post by darwilliamsfan »

I'm secondary-progressive with moderate+ spasticity and have been taking Baclofen for 3+ years now.

I'm on a pretty high dose of Baclofen. During the week (when I'm up for 17+ hours) I take 65 mg split into 4 doses; on the weekend (when I sleep more) I take 60 mg split into 3 doses. I know that the recommended maximum/day is around 80 mg.

The Baclofen keeps things under control most of the time, but at night my right leg sometimes gets very rigid to where I can't bend it, even by using my arms.

When I told my neuro about this, she prescribed 300 mg gabapentin once daily to supplement the Baclofen.

My questions:

1) The prescription says to take at bedtime, but at my appointment my neuro suggested taking it at dinnertime, and then presumably going back to the Baclofen at bedtime. What are others who are on this combo doing as far as when you take the Baclofen vs the gabapentin? (Do you ever take both together?) So far I'm doing the bedtime option in lieu of my last dose of Baclofen.

2) The leaflet said to avoid taking the gabapentin within 2 hours of antacids with magnesium; does that also mean avoiding taking within 2 hours of a magnesium supp or magnesium-rich foods? (I just searched this forum for magnesium spasticity and am reading about how maybe magnesium itself can help the spasticity, which sounds very promising; if I don't fall in love with gaba I may try that instead, as I'd prefer fewer meds.)

3) Would you expect the gaba to start working fairly immediately? I haven't noticed much of a difference so far.

4) I haven't been as good about stretching as I should be; if I only stretch once per day, would right before bed be the most beneficial time to do so?

Thanks.

Mel