New Member...Question

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
pilgrim2

New Member...Question

Post by pilgrim2 »

Hello All, I'm a new member and was diagnosed with MS a few years ago. I've had a certain pain only very occasionally in the past, which is now happening more often... kind of concerning me. It is so strange I thought to ask a forum if anyone has something similar. Here it is: when I turn my head (when this happens it is always sudden) it feels like my head is totally disconnecting from my neck... terrible terrible sharp pain, and then it goes away and my head feels weak...almost like I can hardly hold my head up. ~~~ does anyone else ever have this pain/sensation? I'm wondering if it could be MS related. THANK YOU for any feedback! :)
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: New Member...Question

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,
Aches and pains are common but I would go to a good Osteopath or similar so they can have a play around and see if they can find a physical reason. Muscles can pull things out of place and sometimes just releasing the muscle solves the issue. Remember MS is a term that is very easily used as an excuse (for everything!). Sometimes it is part of the issue. Try and resolve the problem through manipulation before it compounds into a bigger set of problems. Maintaining flexibility and movement is every bit as important as everything mentioned here.
Regards
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: New Member...Question

Post by NHE »

Hi Pilgrim,
Welcome to ThisIsMS. Your problems could be a variant of Lhermitte's sign which is due to demyelination of the spinal cord. Or, they could be completely unrelated to MS. For example, I still exhibit a slight asymmetry in my face when I smile from a head injury that happened when I was five. However, the last neurologist I saw thought it was due to MS until I told him otherwise. I also have loss of sensation on the back of one my hands. Again, he thought it was due to MS. This was until I pointed to the scar on my wrist where I had accidentally hit it with a hatchet some 25 years prior. Our problems aren't always due to MS, though, some neurologists tend to view their patients through MS colored glasses which can lead to misdiagnosis of unrelated problems.