Symptoms

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jenniferdpt

Symptoms

Post by jenniferdpt »

Hello!

I am a 30 year old female. For the past four days, I have had a tightness and burning in my lower left leg. It feels "dead". This has happened once before, a year ago when I gave birth to my son. The next day, I could hardly move the leg and had a doppler to rule out a clot. It got better over a few days..... This time, it is worsening.

I have had bowel issues for years - constipation and diarrhea. Other symptoms include double vision, vertigo, and getting lightheaded when I look down. I also have proximal limb weakness and difficulty getting up from the floor. I have auras with my migraines, but my vision is sometimes blurry without a mirgraine. I am worried.

I have not had any testing.... just curious.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Symptoms

Post by lyndacarol »

jenniferdpt wrote:I am a 30 year old female. For the past four days, I have had a tightness and burning in my lower left leg. It feels "dead". This has happened once before, a year ago when I gave birth to my son. The next day, I could hardly move the leg and had a doppler to rule out a clot. It got better over a few days..... This time, it is worsening.

I have had bowel issues for years - constipation and diarrhea. Other symptoms include double vision, vertigo, and getting lightheaded when I look down. I also have proximal limb weakness and difficulty getting up from the floor. I have auras with my migraines, but my vision is sometimes blurry without a mirgraine. I am worried.

I have not had any testing.... just curious.
Welcome to ThisIsMS, jenniferdpt. We are good listeners here; we are willing to share our opinions, if asked.
jenniferdpt

Post by jenniferdpt »

Hi. Thank you. Yes, I am wondering if these are possible symptoms. Or anyone's similar experience.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

jenniferdpt wrote:Hi. Thank you. Yes, I am wondering if these are possible symptoms. Or anyone's similar experience.
Your symptoms (numbness/burning pain in legs, bowel issues, vision disturbances, dizziness, weakness, migraines) are consistent with many conditions, including MS. BUT… MS is a diagnosis of exclusion and can only be made after other more likely possibilities have been ruled out. The following are the blood tests suggested by the University of Chicago for investigating the possible causes of peripheral neuropathy (which is numbness/pain in the extremities – legs/feet and arms/hands) http://peripheralneuropathycenter.uchic ... ndex.shtml
Blood tests

Blood tests are commonly employed to check for vitamin deficiencies, toxic elements and evidence of an abnormal immune response.

Depending on your individual situation, your doctor may request certain laboratory tests to identify potentially treatable causes for neuropathy. These include tests for:

Vitamin B12 and folate levels (Many experts consider the HoloTranscobalamin, a.k.a. HoloTc, test to be most accurate than the outdated "serum B12" test.)
Thyroid, liver and kidney functions (especially thyroid hormones testing is recommended by Kathryn Simpkins in her book, The MS Solution)
Vasculitis evaluation
Oral glucose tolerance test
Antibodies to nerve components (e.g., anti-MAG antibody)
Antibodies related to celiac disease (Gluten sensitivity is a problem for many people; it can cause neurological symptoms.)
Lyme disease
HIV/AIDS
Hepatitis C and B
I urge you to read the book, Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses by Sally M. Pacholok, RN, BSN, and Jeffrey J. Stuart, D.O. (This may be available at your library.): http://b12awareness.org/could-it-be-b12 ... diagnoses/