Hi! Who is taking Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
dulceemira
Getting to Know You...

Hi! Who is taking Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)?

Post by dulceemira »

Hi guys,
Who is taking CoQ10 for MS? It helps?
I just ordered it from Healthy Origins, 400 mg capsules..I found some interesting studies on Pubmed .. But I am searching for experiences...with high doses Q10...Any thoughts on this? :smile:
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Hi! Who is taking Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)?

Post by CureOrBust »

I take 2 400mg capsules of CoQ10 a day as I use Lipitor (a Statin) to help with my MS. Statin intake is a reason for supplementation.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I take 750mg per night and have for years as I am strongly of the view it helps a great deal.
I wrote about it here - http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens- ... 9-210.html

Regards
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Actually I checked, and its 600mg tablets.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I have been taking CoQ10 for almost 2 years. I take a lot of supplements so I can't say for sure whether it specifically is helping me but it is a highly recommended supplement. I take 100mg in the morning and the same in the evening. Recommended dosages seem to vary quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

I take 2 300mg caps per day. Noticed it helped with energy.

P
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,
Perhaps a bit more detail will help.

CoQ10 was originally discovered by Fred Crane from the University of Wisconsin in 1957 when he found a yellowish substance after separating the mitochondria from beef hearts. It is called Q10 as it is a Quinone and the 10 recognizes the number of isoprenoid units in its side chain.

Merck lost interest in funding research and did nothing with the discovery but ultimately Japanese scientists at Osaka university began testing it on patients with heart disease. In 1971, US studies confirmed its role in the function of the human heart.

The Japanese developed techniques for harvesting quantities for large scale human trials. As the Q10 could now be made in industrial quantities it became available for use in heart disease management.

The 1978 Nobel prize was awarded to the English scientist, Peter Mitchell, for his description of how it works and how energy transfers occur in the mitochondria of the cell.

Q10 is also known as ubiquinone because it is ubiquitous in every cell in the body. In a healthy body, we synthesize it ourselves through a complex process involving the amino acid, tyrosine, and a side chain made of acetyl-coenzyme A. As it is complex to make, a deficiency in amino acids, vitamins and minerals will impair its formation.

Q10 functions as an antioxidant, inhibiting lipid peroxidation in cell membranes and low density lipoproteins.

Q10 is fat soluble and a large molecule so it is poorly absorbed into blood. Preparations dosed in oil apparently are better absorbed than those in a dry powder. Preparations in water-miscible forms may be better absorbed into blood.

Q10 is vital to the electron transport chain as it can both donate and receive electrons. The recycling of ATP is dependent on it.

Not all Q10 is prepared the same way so bioavailability will vary. The dose should be enough to induce a response so the quantity needed will vary. There are soft-gel capsules, chewables, cap-tabs and powder filled capsules. If the product has poor dissolution then you're wasting your money as bioavailability will be low.

The other form of Q10 is Ubiquinol. Ubiquinone once ingested converts to ubiquinol. Recently, it has been developed as a supplement. Possibly ubiquinol might be better if you are impaired.

There are not a lot of head to head comparisons. Just look for a therapeutic response.

Regards,
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Scott1 wrote:Q10 is fat soluble and a large molecule so it is poorly absorbed into blood. Preparations dosed in oil apparently are better absorbed than those in a dry powder. Preparations in water-miscible forms may be better absorbed into blood.
Some companies make a sublingual CoQ10. Do you have any idea if that might give it better absorption?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi NHE,

I'm not sure. The promoters of the products say it works but they also have a huge variety on offer and nothing seems to be backed up by a hard nosed study. They say its absorbed better but I can't see the proof of it. As it's fat soluble, I'd rather go for a gel in a soft capsule and, by trial and error, work out a dose that works.
It's still important to remember that it is the sum of all the things we do that make a difference. The role of Q10 in the electron transport chain is crucial. That happens inside the inner membrane of the mitochondria. You can't make ATP without it and energy levels and neurotransmitters (such as GABA) are ATP dependent. To cross the mitochondrial membrane you need L-carnitine. I take both plus N-acetyl-cysteine. I still need valacyclovir as well. Don't treat Q10 as a magic bullet.

Regards