Multiple Sclerosis - Double the Risk of Dying Early!!!

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jackD
Family Elder

Multiple Sclerosis - Double the Risk of Dying Early!!!

Post by jackD »

Not what I wanted to read this morning.

jackD
People With Multiple Sclerosis May Have Double the Risk of Dying Early

May 27, 2015

MINNEAPOLIS -- May 27, 2015 -- New research suggests people with multiple sclerosis (MS) may have double the risk of dying early compared with people without MS, with those younger than 59 at a 3 times higher risk.

The findings are published in the May 27, 2015, online issue of the journal Neurology.

“Despite studies that show MS survival may be improving over time, the more than 2.5 million people affected worldwide by this disabling disease still face a risk of dying earlier, specifically those who are diagnosed younger,” said study author Ruth Ann Marrie, MD, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba.

For the study, researchers reviewed the health system use of 5,797 people diagnosed with MS and 28,807 healthy people of the same sex, born in the same year and from the same areas of the Canadian province.

People with MS lived a median of 76 years, compared with 83 years for people who did not have the disease. A total of 44% of the people with MS were reported to have died from MS and related complications of the disease. After that, the most common causes of death were circulatory system disease, cancer, and respiratory disease.

The researchers also looked at whether participants had several other conditions, such as diabetes, depression, and epilepsy. Overall, they found that having other conditions did not shorten the lifespan of people with MS any more than it did for the people without MS. However, people with MS who had other conditions had a shorter life span than those who did not have conditions such as diabetes.

“Treating other conditions better may be a way of improving survival,” said Dr. Marrie.

SOURCE: American Academy of Neurology
Yodi
Getting to Know You...

Re: Multiple Sclerosis - Double the Risk of Dying Early!!!

Post by Yodi »

Cheer up, 76 sounds not that bad at all. However, priority should be given to quality of life
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Maybe it should say "people with MS who didn't take matters into their own hands die earlier". We can have our challenges but I'm pretty sure I can outlast the lot of them.

Regards
jackD
Family Elder

Post by jackD »

Yodi wrote:Cheer up, 76 sounds not that bad at all. However, priority should be given to quality of life
When you get to my age -72- you may be slightly more concerned about this negative news on MS folks dying early.

jackD

Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Jack!

You didn't get to be 72 by thinking like that!
I have a friend who is 95 years old and he treats people 20 years younger than him as the old ones. A lot of his energy comes from a frame of mind and a reluctance to "let the old man in".
Concentrate on being the best you can and throw that downbeat attitude in the bin. Make sure you don't spend too much time hanging around with old people no matter what year they were born. Time for you to get out more.

Regards
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

According to a Goggle search I just did about people who are likely to die younger:

Being Anxious Makes You More Likely to Die Young

People Who Don’t Drink Alcohol Might Be More Likely To Die Young

People with ADHD are twice as likely to die prematurely

The funniest comedians face a significantly higher risk of premature death than their more serious counterparts

Metal Musicians Twice As Likely To Die Young As Country Musicians

People With Bipolar Disorder More Likely To Die Younger

Poorest children more likely to die young

Divorced people more likely to die young

Women with diabetes likely to die earlier than male diabetics

Teens who expect to die young are more likely to commit crime

Pop Stars More Likely to Die Young

Stay single, die younger, say scientists

Survivors of traumatic brain injuries more likely to die young

Do left-handed people really die young?

Obese People Die Younger

There were 34,700,000 results and fortunately I decided to stop after viewing 5 pages of results. Because I am sure you get the point!
MSbro
Family Member

Post by MSbro »

I'm thinking that the longer you have MS, the more apt you are at having mobility problems. When you aren't able to move normally and get the exercise you need, the greater the chance of your circulatory system not operating correctly and that can lead to all sorts of issues with your organs. And that certainly isn't good and could be a cause of dying earlier. Like one poster said, there are all kinds of reasons you can die early and having MS just adds one more to the list.

So I guess the better you look after you general health, the more you exercise properly, the better off you will be.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

I'm at EDSS 6 right now. From here the future looks like this:
7 Wheelchair
8 Bedridden
9 Helpless
10 Dead.

Compared to EDSS 8 and 9, 10 doesn't sound all that bad. What's the point of living more years of life if you spend it bedridden and helpless?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi again,

This is a very valuable topic. It's something we all have to think about.

Last September, the top two chambers of my heart had stopped beating and if they did beat just once the blood clots would have killed me. I had to learn how to walk again.
Even though I was in great discomfort I wrote it down in the regimes section so others could observe what was happening.
My MRI looked like a snow storm of white marks. I still have residual issues from all of that but I don't intend to ever say I can't make a difference to myself.
Since then, I have exercised at least three times every week, played around with medications, walked away (as much as possible) from things that stress me, read extensively to learn and written it all down in the regimes section in case someone wants to know what I'm doing.
I had some very bleak days as I have a totally non-supportive family. Had a couple of trips in an ambulance and a very volatile body to deal with. Through it all I always thought that if I was in a room with four closed doors that I would find a fifth way out.
Now I am definitely recovering. Most people don't realize I have a problem because I don't behave like I do.
If you intend to plan to do nothing then at least share what you do or don't do to build knowledge for the rest of us.
Good luck to you all but remember many people are here to find the fifth way. If there is not a way for you then we will be very sympathetic but please don't talk yourselves down.
Regards