Link found between immune system and nervous system

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
pushingForward
Family Member

Link found between immune system and nervous system

Post by pushingForward »

thought some may find this interesting http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 122445.htm
pushingForward
Family Member

Re: Link found between immune system and nervous system

Post by pushingForward »

Oops - just saw that this was already posted under CCSVI - http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... 26409.html
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

it is all over the place :)

This is the first true medical breakthrough (in my opinion) that could and will eventually help so many people.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Along these lines:

ABC-TVCatalyst "Gut Reaction Part 1" (28 min. video)
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Just finished watching the ABC shows. Extremely enlightening. I expect big things from this. I am grateful to know that perhaps this has something to do with why I am taking 300 mg of biotin every day. I expect I have some missing gut micro-biome elements, that all the powerful antibiotics I've had were responsible for my losing.

Antibiotics can be very destructive. One caused someone to lose almost all of her vestigial balance.

Chris Sullivan
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
MSbro
Family Member

Post by MSbro »

Does this mean that what the drug companies have been telling us for years that MS is "caused" by the immune system is just not correct? Guess that won't be good for their expensive drug sales for MS.
EricDrake
Family Member

Post by EricDrake »

MSbro wrote:Does this mean that what the drug companies have been telling us for years that MS is "caused" by the immune system is just not correct? Guess that won't be good for their expensive drug sales for MS.
It does not mean that, this is a new finding can help to learn more about MS, based the article finally they probably are going to be able to study the cause which was not possible so far, but I dont think that it would mean (atleast not directly)that it is not caused by the immune system.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Even in the documentary, it says that the gut is part of the immune system.
Leonard
Family Elder

Post by Leonard »

CureOrBust wrote:Even in the documentary, it says that the gut is part of the immune system.
that is correct, our immunity is determined by our gut.

the synopsis of MS on http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 8-705.html (posting 1 June) starts exactly with this point.

bad gut, interferon gamma and interleukins down.

cell-mediated immunity down.

the herpes virus control down.

herpes/VZV induced inflammation

bad drainage of lymphatic system and pharynx causes EBV lytic cycle proliferation

immortalised B cells; cross=autoimmune reactions; super-oxygen and oxidative stress

this is what is MS phase I and phase II

The Nature article http://www.readcube.com/articles/10.1038%2Fnature14432 calls for a reassessment of basic assumptions.

All these things take time; the system is very vicious; the neurology may face a total impasse.

HOW DOW WE BREAK OUT?
MSbro
Family Member

Post by MSbro »

CureOrBust wrote:Even in the documentary, it says that the gut is part of the immune system.
So if your gut bacteria is all messed up and it causes your immune system to react in a manner that is trying to protect your system, is taking these powerful immune system altering drugs beneficial to the MS patient in the long run? Or is it just adding more confusion and messing things up even more along with the nasty side effects many patients experience?
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Is the link they found all human? Yes, bacteria definitely have a role in MS. I've had MS for 18 ears, probably more like 33 years on accounta CIS. I've seen lots of solutions come, some go back where they came from, and then eventually mortality will make it all irrelevant. The individual patient (or impatient) must decide who to listen to. Even neurologists will not do all your listening for you.

You will, at some point, decide on a few important issues. The presence of what some might call relapsing-remitting MS means you might have more time. Then again... I think it may be prudent to decide

a) whether your immune system is on your side (I think it is), and
b) whether bacteria are on your side (I think many of them are) or not.

Currently I haven't even taken much time for
unusual supplements
LDN,
goat serum,
other destructive things, known for the most part as chemo-therapies. (these may assist with immune-ablation, which is used for many kinds of MS treatments).
cord blood stem calls,
transplanted stem cells,
autologous (a neologism not yet in my dictionary) adult stem cells,
whole marrow transplants,
blood replacement,
radiation therapies,
parasites,
mold, mildew, snake venom, etc., etc.

There is, however, the first treatment to have shown any promise, in a fairly large double-blind trial which is part of a series. Other trials have been equally successful using the same substance, 300 mg per day of a well-known supplement (usually taken in smaller doses, but safe well beyond that level) called biotin, or Vitamin H. This substance has no known side-effects at the higher 300mg dose. It is produced in the human gut, by well known bacteria. Antibiotics wipe many gut bacteria populations out completely, therefore biotin supplementation may be a good idea anyway in case that happens.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine thy food. - Hippocates Not enough is known about gut bacteria populations, but they seem to be an uncharted area of other symbiotic species that are necessary to human life. Only when gut bacterial populations have been significantly altered (as they are, for instance, in caesarian births, or cases of severe infection which require the use of antibiotics), are they likely to be associated with a human disease state. This is more likely to be a case of an insufficient gut bacterial population, than an infection. These diseased states are more likely the result of a low population rate of one or more gut bacteria. More than one species of these gut bacteria may be required for production of hitherto unknown proteins that are necessary for life itself, not only health.

All 'my' systems like immune and respiratory ('my' DNA) being healthy at all, may depend, on successful symbiosis with a few thousand species of common gut bacteria. That is the reason fecal transplants are now a reality in some clinics. What they do is insert the fecal sample somewhere high up in he large intestine. Although regurgitation is common, it is not desirable. The excretory environment must be similar to the environment the sample came from.

"Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!"

"But I'm not dead yet!"

...Thwack!

"Bring out your dead!"

This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)