Ok, call me crazy but is this my answer? Candida overgrowth?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Ok, call me crazy but is this my answer? Candida overgrowth?

Postby Youarethecure » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:23 am

For background, go here general-discussion-f1/topic26400.html

I found out about this last night and maybe I am crazy, but this just fits way too well to be the culprit. This would explain everything down to even my bad acne break outs.

I went through two steroid treatments, one late 2013 and then early 2014. Shortly after those treatments I have had weird mucus and often a dry mouth. I also, just don't feel "right" overall. At any given time, my throat or mouth is full of excess weird tasting mucus. Throughout all the steroids and being diagnosed I stopped smoking cigarettes..... but I took up a lesser evil of eating sweets. If this is what's going on, I truly gave it everything it needs to get as bad as it has.

I am still having hives and breakouts despite being on steroids, Benadryl, and a histamine blocker. I ate nothing yesterday but turkey, rice (carbs), and chicken. I know feel that everything is triggered by either sugar or carbs.... or so it seems.

I barely know anything about all this, so anyone please feel free to chime in with what you think and know. Feel free to agree, disagree, whatever. does this make sense? Where do I go from here?

For now, I am starving my self of sugar and carbs and I am going to start a probiotic today. I also am seeing an allergist in a couple weeks.

Thanks for any insight,

Chris
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: Ok, call me crazy but is this my answer? Candida overgro

Postby munchkin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:43 am

Hi

There are a number of people who believe that candidia is the reason for ms. Read Ann Boroch, there is a lot of good information about yeast and just eating healthier which can't hurt.
munchkin
Family Elder

Postby Youarethecure » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:30 am

I already eat pretty healthy aside from my sweet tooth.

I am going to do a few days of only veggies with a little grilled chicken here and there. I am starting a probiotic today as well. I am working off the website http://www.thecandidadiet.com/guide-to-probiotics/
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Postby Scott1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi

If we forget about the hives etc and just focus on your mouth, can you go into a bit more detail-
Is the taste sort of metallic?
Is your tongue pink or coated?
If coated can you describe it?
Do you have ulcers in your mouth (or skin peeling off the insides)?
If you drink something bubbly do you notice the bubbles or is it a slimy feel
Do things you eat taste the way they used to?

Regards
Scott1
Family Elder

Postby Youarethecure » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:20 pm

Not metallic. Nothing seems coated. No sores in my mouth. Everything tastes as it used to.

On a side note, I had another bad allergic reaction yesterday. This time my left eye blew up really bad. I was also covered in hives, small ones and also really big ones. I still am eating very limited, mostly turkey chicken and veggies. I did however have some ice cream and some candies the night before this all happened.

At this point, at different times I have had one swollen eye, both feet have blown up, hives everywhere, my scalp gets insanely itchy, my face blew up once (after shaving), feeling of something in my throat. Nothing adds up or makes sense to be the cause of all this.

I can't go to the allergist yet because you have to be off benadryl for 5 days.

I also have not taken my copaxone shot in over a week now. My neurologist said to stop it for two weeks to see if it has anything to do with it. On a good note, it does not seem to have anything to do with copaxone as I still am having problems.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:22 pm

heya :) there's lots of discussion on candida here at TiMS

here's some debate from a few yrs ago natural-approach-f27/topic18577-60.html#p176762

i saw a note i have not backed up by locating research for yet, suggesting that a sweet tooth can be a sign of poor zinc status. certainly consuming sugar places a higher than normal demand on your body's zinc resources.

turkey, chicken, and veggies are not your best bangs for the buck in the zinc department. what's your current zinc regimen? have you had a serum zinc test lately?

i just had a UTI and during one bad night i really hammered it with zinc and selenium and a lot of steak. all better now, no pharma antibiotics required :D

took a really quick shot at zinc antifungal and found this study http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 1711001955

super late here can't spend much time, sorry!
odd sx? no dx? check w/ dietitian
DRI=MINIMUM eg bit.ly/1vgQclQ
99% don't meet these. meds/lifestyle can affect levels
status can be low in ms & other cond'ns
'but my results are normal'. typical panels don't test all
deficits occur in 'normal' range
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Scott1 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi,

Sounds like a reaction to something but I think you need to see someone. Diarise everything you eat, drink, wear, wash in, sleep in because this might need a bit of lateral thinking.

Regards
Scott1
Family Elder

Postby Youarethecure » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:30 am

Thanks for the replies scott. I talked to the allergist today and they still want me to come in tomorrow. So we will see where that takes me.

As always, thanks jimmylegs for your insight and knowledge. I have not had any tests recently, and they were unable to get my zinc status for me the time I did my last blood work. I have supplemented zinc a few times in the past but I feel that it (for whatever reason) adds to me having acne breakouts. So I have never gone more than a few weeks taking zinc.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:07 am

hmm that is counter-intuitive re the zinc and acne thing. zinc's potential in that dept is not news:

Effects of Oral Zinc ... in Acne (1977) http://archderm.jamanetwork.com/article ... eid=536705 "After 12 weeks of treatment, the mean acne score had decreased from 100% to 15%"

2013 systematic review
http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/23652948
"A SORT strength of recommendation of B (inconsistent or limited-quality patient-oriented evidence) appears to be appropriate for both oral and topical zinc. The preponderance of evidence suggests zinc has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects and that it may decrease sebum production."
so, more study needed..

2014 commentary
http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kab ... 5b5822.pdf
"We feel that the issue of the effects of zinc in acne vulgaris and rosacea should focus on the preparation of zinc used."
those guys don't bother talking about diet, however..

so putting supplement forms aside for the moment, what are your feelings regarding shellfish? (oysters and clams in particular)

personally, my skin issues improved dramatically after identifying and correcting zinc deficiency.

will check in again later :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Youarethecure » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:35 am

I LOVE shellfish and anything from the ocean. Crab legs are literally my favorite meal. I eat seafood almost on a daily basis. I eat wild Alaskan salmon 3-4 times a week.

I know zinc is good for the skin but for some reason I feel it doesn't help me. I have supplemented a few different times now with zinc, and I feel it wasn't helping my skin. It seemed like the acne would stick around longer and never truly heal up.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Postby Youarethecure » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:40 pm

So I just got back from the allergist, and I am allergic to nothing. So who knows what's going on lol.

I have to go back in two weeks. I didn't even think to ask about chemicals and stuff like that. I was only tested for food and environmental stuff. I think this might have something to do with chemicals and all the crap around. At least I can eat chocolate and play with dogs and cats though !!! lol
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:28 pm

definitely sounds like testing will be in order.

what form of zinc were you using specifically?

also talk to me about weekly intake of clams and oysters specifically? i shouldn't have used a general term like shellfish..
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Scott1 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:00 am

Hi,

So what did the doctors who looked at it say it was?

Regards
Scott1
Family Elder

Postby Youarethecure » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:24 am

She went down a list of what could have caused it. From allergies to cancer. But she said many times it is idiopathic and will go away on its own. I am doing 2 weeks of zyrtec and then going to see her again for a follow up. She was totally against the candida thing and didn't think it was that. She checked my body out and said we would see yeast if it was a yeast problem. Also autoimmune diseases have been linked to having hives and allergic reactions. It would make sense with how stupid my immune system is always doing wrong stuff.

She told me many times to get back on my medicine and it doesn't seem related. So for now, if it happens again we will do further testing to try and figure it all out. Hopefully it ran its course and wont happen again though. I am still not going to use a lot of stuff on my skin. I am only going to use dove mild soap and slowly introduce things back into my routine.

I am close to 2 weeks off copaxone so it just does not seem like it has to do with copaxone. I am going to start back up this Saturday.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Postby Taurus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:42 am

sir, can u guess why ms prevails so high at some parts of the world i.e canada plus why double among women? :confused:
Taurus
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion