Cladribine

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Tiffany
Getting to Know You...

Cladribine

Post by Tiffany »

I recently received the following invite to apply to take part in a clinical trial and was wondering if anyone had either heard of it or had any views on it.
The CLARITY Study

It’s about the freedom to choose the treatment that works best for you. That’s why researchers are studying an oral form of an investigational medicine (a tablet) to determine whether it is safe and effective in treating relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.

The CLARITY Study is a double-blind clinical trial of an investigational oral medicine (Cladribine) in the treatment of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. Certain forms of Cladribine are approved for use in other illnesses, but research is still needed on treating Multiple Sclerosis with Cladribine tablets.
Tiffany
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

I did not participate because my neuro said 'if you try this one, you can't participate in any other trials after that' ! In my mind, that was too definite for me but the nurses told me that the participants are doing quite well. Good luck whatever you decide. Carolew
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

They did a trial on cladribine by injection (so not like this current trial) on patients with progressive MS in the late 1990's. Here's what they found:

Cladribine and progressive MS: clinical and MRI outcomes of a multicenter controlled trial. Cladribine MRI Study Group.

Neurology. 2000 Mar 14;54(5):1145-55.
Rice GP, Filippi M, Comi G.
University Hospital, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada. grice@julian.uwo.ca

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the safety and efficacy of two doses of cladribine in patients with progressive MS.

BACKGROUND: Treatment of progressive MS patients with cladribine in a previous single-center, placebo-controlled clinical trial was associated with disease stabilization.

METHODS: In the current study, 159 patients with a median baseline Kurtzke's Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) score of 6.0 were randomly assigned to receive placebo or cladribine 0.07 mg/kg/day for 5 consecutive days every 4 weeks for either two or six cycles (total dose, 0.7 mg/kg or 2.1 mg/kg, respectively), followed by placebo, for a total of eight cycles. Thirty percent had primary progressive MS (PPMS) and 70% had secondary progressive MS (SPMS). EDSS and Scripps Neurologic Rating Scale (SNRS) scores were assessed bi-monthly and MRI was performed every 6 months. The primary outcome measure was disability (mean change in EDSS).

RESULTS: Mean changes in disability did not differ among the groups at the end of the 12-month double-blind phase. Both cladribine treatments were superior to placebo for the proportion of patients having gadolinium-enhanced T1 lesions and for the mean volume and number of such lesions (p < or = 0.003). Differences were statistically significant at the 6-month evaluation time, with < or =90% reduction in volume and number of enhanced T1 lesions, which was maintained through final evaluation. This effect segregated largely with the SPMS group. The T2 burden of disease showed a modest improvement in cladribine-treated patients and worsened in placebo-treated patients. Most adverse events were mild or moderate in severity and not treatment limiting.

CONCLUSION: No significant treatment effects were found for cladribine in terms of changes in EDSS or SNRS scores. Both doses of cladribine produced and sustained significant reductions in the presence, number, and volume of gadolinium-enhanced T1 brain lesions on MRI, and cladribine 2.1 mg/kg reduced the accumulation of T2 lesion load. Cladribine at doses up to 2.1 mg/kg was generally safe and well tolerated.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_DocSum
Tiffany
Getting to Know You...

cladribine

Post by Tiffany »

Thanks for your input Carolew and Dignan. It had not even crossed my mind that taking part in one trial would invalidate taking part in any other trials in the future. Having looked into that further have to say it does make sense!

Once again thanks for the info it was very much appreciated.

Tiffany

Return to “General Discussion”