Shot sites not healing like they used to.

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
superpirate22

Shot sites not healing like they used to.

Post by superpirate22 »

I've been on Copaxone shots for over a year now; and where as normally they do not bruise and only blow up the day after for a few hours, lately I am bruising a lot and the sites I've injected into stay 'lumpy' for up to a week. Sites can also be sensitive at times!

Does anyone else have this? I don't think I've made and diet or lifestyle changes that could be causing my body to not bounce back as quick after a shot.
DrGeoff
Family Elder

Re: Shot sites not healing like they used to.

Post by DrGeoff »

If you are using the Autoject 2, the first thing to check is the depth setting.
Optimum is about 8mm, and you can go down to 6mm.
If the setting has worked round to 10, you could be injecting into a muscle, and not just under the skin.
I do not know enough about the later injector to comment, but the orinciole will apply - too deep can be painfull, and so can too shallow.
Geoff
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

You may want to contact Shared Solutions for assistance on this. They are probably in the best position to help you.

As far as injection depth with the Autoject, the optimal depth should depend ultimately on the thickness of the skin at the injection site and will vary from person to person. I use a variety of depths ranging from 3 1/2 to 5 depending on the site location and had to 'tweak' the depth as I lost weight. The 'target' depth is the area just below the skin and above the muscle and for best results, you should adjust the depth setting for each injection site so you avoid discomfort.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

without more backstory this input may be irrelevant, and i don't take shots so don't have a handle on all the related issues BUT i do know that zinc is a big usual suspect where wound healing is concerned, and that the average ms patient has less than optimal zinc status.

might be interesting to try a medicated topical product like penaten (18% zinc oxide)
http://www.penaten.ca/en/baby/penaten-o ... cream.html

or possibly some zinc oxide tape as a bandage
http://www.allsportmedical.co.uk/first- ... -tape.aspx

active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.

Return to “General Discussion”