weight gain

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
miemie39

weight gain

Post by miemie39 »

I was diagnosed with MS 11 1/2 yrs ago. I was 165lbs. 4 months after taking Bataseron I gained 26lbs. Especially at the injection sites. Over the next 7yrs I have been on Copaxone, Gelenia, Tysabri, Techfidera as well as the occassional Prednisone. I got up to 228lbs. Had I not been extremely active, I would have been larger. I have put on over 60lbs from this medication. AND STEROID WEIGHT IS THE HARDEST TO GET OFF. The weight gain had caused other issues I never had before. So in addition to dealing with MS, I now have to deal with elevated blood pressure, pain in my hips, knees ankles and feet from the excess weight, ugly cellulite that came on abruptly. I NEVER had an issue with my weight until I started taking theses "MEDS". I stopped taking all medication, and I feel soooooo much better. I researched natural steroids like 'tummeric' and foods that premote healthy nuerological function, Like Salmon, Tuna or Pumpkin seeds.
These doctors do not care about anything but making money off these meds. Dont let them kill you.
centenarian100
Family Elder

Re: weight gain

Post by centenarian100 »

Long term steroid use has terrible side effects. Now that you are off the steroids, you should be able to lose weight slowly by tightening up your diet and increasing your exercise. Just increase your whole fruit and vegetable intake. Eat foods like spinach, eggplant, mushrooms, kale, lettuce, celery, and watermelon. They are abundant in fiber and water and will fill up your stomach without excess calories. They are also abundant in micronutrients. Avoid refined sugars, refined oils, and processed food in general

Increase your activity level. If you work at a desk job, consider getting a standing desk or even a treadmill desk.

I would bet that a lot of your pain in your hips, knees, and ankles will improve over time

best of luck

Return to “General Discussion”