New MRI, zero new lesions, zero active lesions.

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

New MRI, zero new lesions, zero active lesions.

Post by Youarethecure »

I am so excited to have received this news. I have not taken any medication in over 2 months now. I was on Copaxone but I became allergic to it.

I am STRONGLY considering going medicine free. Most of you guys know my back story and what I have been through. I seem to have every indicator and sign of having a more "mild" MS.... other than being male.

I know what I need to do aside from medicine to keep my self as healthy as possible. Most of it, I learned here from this site and the awesome members. I was going to use this 2 month window as an indicator as to see if my body truly needs medicine to keep my MS under control. 40 percent of people have disease activity after stopping DMD's but I guess I got lucky.

I just feel all the other drugs are too crazy and have to many ill effects on our body.

...... Am I crazy to consider staying off drugs ?

Chris
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: New MRI, zero new lesions, zero active lesions.

Post by ElliotB »

Great news!

My brother was diagnosed about 15 years ago and decided not to take any medications. He has done extremely well with just a few relapses.

Frankly no one knows for sure whether the medications even work, including Copaxone. Keep on doing what you are doing and with a lot of hard work and a little bit of luck, you will be fine.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Glad you are going well. To be honest, none of the drugs, according the manufacturers notes and the FDA website, actually claim they know what causes MS. Consequently most of them don't say they do any more than modify the outcome compared to a control group. Their samples are often small by the end of the trial as so many people drop out. No matter what the drug is, it will always be worthwhile to look it up by just googling "drug"+"FDA". It's always important to know why you take something and what the consequences are.
The only drugs I take are a subclinical dose of baclofen and valacyclovir. In both cases I learned as much as I could before I took them. I have been on MS drugs and found their efficacy was limited.
Do keep watching for symptoms and treat them accordingly. It's just as effective (more so is my guess) than the blockbuster drugs with fewer side effects.
Regards
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

Thanks guys, exactly what I wanted to hear.

That's a big part of it too, they cant prove anything works or even how some of the drugs work lol. I won't be stupid, if a lot of stuff happens and it gets out of control I will do what I need to do. For the time being, I am comfortable and semi-confident to do this without drugs.

Hope you both are doing well too,

Chris