Benign MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
bromley
Family Elder

Benign MS

Post by bromley »

Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

dropping shoes

Post by jimmylegs »

yesterday i visited the sick room at school since i had some time between a meeting and a lecture. this room includes two beds which can be separated by a curtain. i was not the first person using the room. the other student had a cell phone and twice received messages which caused it to "ring" and to which the texted replies involved much beeping. after the second set of back and forth i found i had to leave because i could not relax due to continued anticipation of a third call. i went instead to the lecture hall early and relaxed on the floor. it

i think that a person's stress level associated with waiting for any shoe to drop is elevated and that no matter the situation the elevated stress is far from beneficial! so that begs the question... is it good to get an incorrect diagnosis earlier than is realistic, or to suffer the stress associated with waiting for that potential second attack? i don't know. but i like having had the choice to accept or reject my (too?) early diagnosis. at the very least, if i were being examined and ms was in my practitioner's mind, i'd want to know what the thought process was and have the opportunity to engage in an examination of self and potential remedial actions.

ps i'm sorry but i kind of giggle at the 'classic' notion. from my point of view when you don't really know what something is, 'classic' becomes pretty meaningless! don't buy in! power to the skeptics!
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Jimmy,

I think the Australian sun or strong lager has gone to your head. I couldn't make head or tail of your posting. Please do not post again until you are sobbered up or I'll have to report you to Arron.

Your good friend

Ian
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Bob,
don't forget that they drive on the wrong side of the road down there!
You might want to reflect on what the Brits have given you: a country (Pilgrim Fathers); a language; the train; all your sports (American Football was based on Rugby), television, the postage stamp, the jet engine, Shakespeare - to name but a few.

And in return you gave us McDonalds and Starsky and Hutch.

The least the Americans can do is come up with a cure for this rotten disease - it would go someway to repaying all the wonderful things that we have given you. :(

The Canadians are more than happy to have Her Majesty the Queen as their Head of State. I'm sure she would be more than happy if the US asked her to become their Head of State and once again became part of the British Empire.

Ian
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Hi Bob Your wifes condition sounds just like mine in the beginning, I went through times where i thought theres nothing wrong with me other my doctors tests.My wife and i had just got married so i just drowned myself in work and did things like nothing was wrong. It took years for anyone at work to notice that somthing wasen't quite right with me. I hope your wife has a benign for of ms or at least a really slow form, when i look back at the good years after my diagnosis i don't regret any of my decisions thank god for that, if you play the odds chances are the ms will progress so you really need to take advantage of the good days,years,decades no one can tell us for sure. rob
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muu
Family Elder

Post by Muu »

It's been interesting reading this exchange. To know or not to know? When I first visited my GP with various symptoms before and after the birth of my first child, he suspected MS. I left the surgery dazed. I had a new baby and the thought of MS made me feel very vulnerable. I was sent to a neurologist who after various tests gave me the "all clear". I now realise it was presented in quite cagey terms. I didn't care about that at the time. I snatched that diagnosis and skipped home with it crying with relief. Life went on, another child arrived. I had a few minor symptoms that were little more than a nuisance that came and went.
A couple of years ago I developed a weakness and reduced mobility in my right leg and ankle. Classic footdrop. It didn't go away. I spent a lot of time on the net and finally admitted to myself that I did have MS after all. Tears, anger, frustration. I eventually summoned up the courage to go to my GP and tell him of my self diagnosis. He was marvellous. He referred me to another neurologist. This time I received the confirmation I was expecting. I was ready for it. Secondary progressive MS.
It appears that there was v strong evidence from the first MRI and other tests for a diagnosis of MS. The correspondence from my first neurologist said as much. I asked myself whether I should have been told 14 years earlier. Current thinking is that it's paronising and arrogant not to tell the patient. True. Could I have been prescribed disease modifying drugs? Perhaps. Was I happy in my ignorance? Most of the time (although there was that nagging doubt right at the back of my mind). Would I have decided not to have a second child? I don't know. Looking at him now it's unthinkable that I may have chosen not to.
I still don't know the answer.
viper498
Family Elder

Post by viper498 »

Sorry to interrupt this thread, but....

Ian,

Are you mad? The "Brits" as you say it, did not give us this country or the people who founded it; far from it. Some people fled (I stress FLED) Britain, France, etc. to get away from the Monarchy and experience true freedom, religious or otherwise. I am not sure if you heard, but there was this thing called the American Revolution. This involved us (Americans, or those who fled their respective countries) fighting to claim the territory that we now call the United States.

Furthermore... Here are just a few of the things that the US has contributed to the world: the light bulb, Rubber, the airplane, the transistor, nuclear power, the personal computer, online shopping, the iPod, THE MRI, and many, many others... ;-). Do you use any of these? Who cares about football, or rugby, or the postage stamp (boring!). The statement that Brits invented the TV can be disputed; there is no definitive proof of that either way as it is a much disputed claim. The jet engine can also be disputed; technically Hans von Ohain (German) beat Whittle to the punch, which leads to the train. Yes, this also can be disputed. Just because somebody files for the first patent, doesn't mean they invented it, or "gave" it to anyone.

Americans certainly have their flaws (Bush...), and they seem to be getting worse by the decade, but we have definitely contributed to this planet in some good ways as well, not just bad.

What would be the point of having "Her Majesty" be our head of state? What does she and the rest of the royal family really do but cost British tax payers £37.4m ($70,000,000 USD) last year alone?!!? No thanks, its bad enough having a bunch of already rich Senators and congressman giving their selves raises every year (like they need the money?).

Cheers!!!

Brock
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

guys, please stay on topic :) political exchanges should go over private messages, or not at all.

Also, remember Ian has quite the sense of humor and it is not always easy to see it through plain text on a forum.
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

It's been fun reading somthing other than research, research, research. I got a laugh out of all the posts, maby we can change the title of this topic to just TALKING. thx for the lighter side, rob
viper498
Family Elder

Post by viper498 »

Aaron, Ian,

Sorry for the jousting! It was all in good fun.

Brock
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

I know you were all kidding because I've 'known' you all for a long time, but it's possible some people didn't and thought this thread was actually descending into a Revolutionary War ;) Thanks for understanding!
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.

Return to “General Discussion”