MS and coping with heat

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Isaac
Getting to Know You...

MS and coping with heat

Post by Isaac »

Hey guys,

I was wondering how hard the heat hits you and your MS, and how you manage it?
For me, we are having 32 degree days (Australia, yay!) and I have flared up so horribly! Walking has suddenly become an Olympic sport it seems, my memory is worse than usual, I am in considerably more pain...I have even started getting nausea and threw up today resulting in me leaving a lecture early to dash home, where I begun having problems with my bowel.

I'll admit, I usually have one or all of these problems sometimes, on and off, but never this cripplingly sever out of the blue. When I woke up this morning I felt fine (or at least, as fine as I usually feel) but now it is almost 3pm and I feel like I am dying, I am also sweating literally bucket loads and have had to have several showers because if my body gets too hot, it feels like someone has poured petrol on me and set me alight! (My washing machine is full of all the clothes I have drenched today already)

So yea, do you have any tips other than simply hibernating in an ice cold shower for the rest of summer?
“The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things.
The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things
don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”

The Doctor
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: MS and coping with heat

Post by ElliotB »

The best thing to do is to stay out of the neat whenever possible. If you have to be out in the heat, wear a cooling vest and drink lots of fluids (plain water (filtered of course) is best.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I'm in Melbourne and we are 37 to 40 today depending on where you are. Generally heat doesn't slaughter me but it's uncomfortable for everyone.
Two things do help me. If you can get one on those "bullit" wizzers, half fill it with ice and half fill it with watermelon and wizz it up. It makes a genuinely cooling drink. The other thing are places that sell fruit based gelato/sorbets. They also are very cold and cool you down.
There's all the obvious things but I find consuming something really cold helps.

Regards,
Isaac
Getting to Know You...

Post by Isaac »

Scott1 wrote:Hi,

I'm in Melbourne and we are 37 to 40 today depending on where you are. Generally heat doesn't slaughter me but it's uncomfortable for everyone.
Two things do help me. If you can get one on those "bullit" wizzers, half fill it with ice and half fill it with watermelon and wizz it up. It makes a genuinely cooling drink. The other thing are places that sell fruit based gelato/sorbets. They also are very cold and cool you down.
There's all the obvious things but I find consuming something really cold helps.

Regards,
Oh nice thanks, I have never thought of that!
I may have to give it a shot :D
“The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things.
The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things
don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”

The Doctor