Right Foot Drop Recovery Question ! Please Help !

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
shreyas019

Right Foot Drop Recovery Question ! Please Help !

Post by shreyas019 »

Hello everyone,

My name is Shreyas I am 27 years old from India. 10 weeks ago I had a major bike accident. My right hip was dislocated like 4-5 cm upwards from my body. That time one sciatic nerve was damaged which results my Foot drop. And also 6 Stitches on my heal of right leg.

My right hip dislocation was healed externally by excellent doctors under 5 hours after the accident.

There was slight deflection of the ball of my right hip so in 3 weeks doctors have succeeded to reduce the hip dislocation. Now my hip dislocation is Well Reduced.

After that doctors have suggested me to start physiotherapy regularly and start seat in 90 degrees in chair anywhere. Also they have advice me to start walk with the help of Foot Brace (AFO) and walker with the 50% pressure of my body. After 15 days the followup report was good so doctors told me to start walking with 100% pressure of my body and stop using walker and start using Stick of 4 legs. In a Week I can able to walk perfectly with 100% pressure of my body sometimes without using stick as well. I have stared climbing the steps. Total 100 steps climbing.

At starting of the condition figures of my right feet doesnt have any movement. But the sensations are all good (Normal).

Currently I am going through physiotherapy from last 1 month almost with 7 types of exercises and the MST (Muscle Stimulation Therapy ). Flexibility of body is all good specially Knee Bending is normal I can able to bend my knee more than 90 degree. Even I have a slight ( 0.1% ) of movement of my feet from ankle to upwards.

Now on 19th July 2016 there will be another doctors followup checkup. I am nerves now. Will I need to have go through NCT (Nerve Conduction Test). Do I need to use Toe-off brace to continue my daily routine.

How much more time it will take to recover my fully. Will this damage is permanent. Is my nerve is damaged of compressed? ( My total foot sensations are normal starting from day 1 after accident ).
David1949
Family Elder

Re: Right Foot Drop Recovery Question ! Please Help !

Post by David1949 »

Sounds like you are doing well. Most people on this website have a progressive disease which gets worse with time. You, on the other hand, are getting better. I wish I had your problems.

Stop worrying and keep up your exercises. You might well make a full recovery. I wish you success.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

If the damage persists, there may be a medication, called Gilenya, or fingolimod, or fty720, which may help damaged peripheral nerves recover. See J Neuroinflammation. 2016; 13: 143.
Published online 2016 Jun 10. doi: 10.1186/s12974-016-0612-9
PMCID: PMC4901498
Fingolimod promotes peripheral nerve regeneration via modulation of lysophospholipid signaling
Fabian Szepanowski

It is currently only prescribed for one type of MS (RRMS). You would have to take it off-label. It has its own inherent health risks. It is very expensive.

Currently, and conveniently for the drug's vendors, it may be prescribed, for MS, for a very long time, or for life. However, if it does help damaged nerves, and you don't have MS, you might not need it after that. Once a nerve is repaired, remyelinated, it is unlikely to re-damage itself. If you don't have MS, symptoms are not likely to return. This is not how drug companies like MS people taking their drugs. They prefer that MS patients continue to take them, and pay for them, indefinitely. In my opinion, they will even try to scare MS patients into staying on drugs, by telling them they might get much worse if they stop.

I think you probably do not need nerve conduction studies, which are very painful. I think they may contribute to nerve damage. This is my uneducated opinion.

You do not have MS, so you probably don't have permanent problems. If you continue to use an AFO, you may lose the ability to walk unaided, as if you do not use it, you lose it. Do as much exercise as you can.

Nothing I say, here, or anywhere, should ever be construed as medical advice of any kind. I am not a doctor or educated.

Consult a doctor.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
shreyas019

Post by shreyas019 »

Dear David,

Thank you for your well wishes it inspires me a lot :smile:
David1949 wrote:Sounds like you are doing well. Most people on this website have a progressive disease which gets worse with time. You, on the other hand, are getting better. I wish I had your problems.

Stop worrying and keep up your exercises. You might well make a full recovery. I wish you success.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Based on what you have said, just keep exercising. If you wish to challenge your muscles walk upstairs without holding a rail with as normal a gait as possible. Then try walking upstairs backwards, again without holding a rail. Of course you need to walk downstairs but watch for any weakness around the hips as you bring the weight forward. Do this with someone nearby so you can grab them if needed but do practice it as you will gain a lot from doing it.

Regards,
shreyas019

Post by shreyas019 »

Scott1 wrote:Hi,

Based on what you have said, just keep exercising. If you wish to challenge your muscles walk upstairs without holding a rail with as normal a gait as possible. Then try walking upstairs backwards, again without holding a rail. Of course you need to walk downstairs but watch for any weakness around the hips as you bring the weight forward. Do this with someone nearby so you can grab them if needed but do practice it as you will gain a lot from doing it.

Regards,
Hi Scott,

Thank you for your advice. I will start practicing this from today itself.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

I don't mean to butt in but maybe letting go of the handrail might be a bit risky at this time. If you let go you could fall and set yourself back to zero. There is no shame in holding the handrail. That's what it's there for. Wait until you are confident in your ability before you try that.
shreyas019

Post by shreyas019 »

David1949 wrote:I don't mean to butt in but maybe letting go of the handrail might be a bit risky at this time. If you let go you could fall and set yourself back to zero. There is no shame in holding the handrail. That's what it's there for. Wait until you are confident in your ability before you try that.
Yeh David you are absolutely right :idea:
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I did say do it with someone you can grab on to. The effect is completely different if you use a handrail all the time. Of course, don't do it on your own.
When I was at my lowest point i could not walk up one single riser without falling flat on my face. I was never allowed to hold the rail going upstairs and only allowed to lightly touch a rail coming down in the early stages. It makes it a totally different exercise if you use a rail.
It is also a very good way to find out who are your real friends.
Regards,
shreyas019

Post by shreyas019 »

Hello, yesterday I had followup of doctors as per there guidance they have suggested me for NCV and EMG tests..

After test reports Doctor said that we will have to wait for 6 months

PLEASE Check the reports and Tell me how much major this problem is?

I AM WORRIED VERY MUCH :sad: