University of Wisconsin T suis/MS/Human Clinical trial

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

University of Wisconsin T suis/MS/Human Clinical trial

Postby Lyon » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:47 am

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Advertisement

new study

Postby gwa » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:37 pm

Interesting. I had never heard of this drug. The more drugs nearing fruition, the better.

gwa
gwa
Family Elder

Re: new study

Postby NHE » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:45 am

gwa wrote:Interesting. I had never heard of this drug. The more drugs nearing fruition, the better.

Technically, it's not a new drug. Trichuris suis eggs are the eggs of a tape worm that normally infects pigs. I have no desire to infect myself with tape worms. However, if they develop an actual drug derived from the worm without having to host the actual worm, then that would be different. My concern is that although most parasites tend to be specialized for their hosts (and that's why they're using this species from pigs such that they don't do too much damage in humans), many can easily adapt to a new host over several generations of the parasite. I think that although this area of research may yield some benefit for those like us suffering from autoimmunity, it's still in it's infancy. It would seem reasonable to me that these researchers could potentially isolate the chemicals that trigger the beneficial immune modulation such that patients would not need the actual tape worm infection to receive benefit.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: new study

Postby Lyon » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:43 am

oo
Lyon
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion