MS Progression

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

MS Progression

Postby cene » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:10 am

I have 2 question which I hope someone can provide some info on.

Is there any record that Relapsing MS can go to Progressive in course of few months?
Can you go from Fully healthy to disabled in course of 1 year?

The reason why I ask this is that I Was diagnosed with Relapsing MS 4 moths ago but with no major problems.
I believe that gradually my situation goes bad since I have new and new symptoms like numbness in legs and arms, fatigue, small coordination problems and similar but nothing like disabled problems so far.

Thanks in advance
cene
Getting to Know You...

Advertisement

Re: MS Progression

Postby Snoopy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:53 am

Hello cene,

Are you having an exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up)? The definition of an exacerbation is old symptoms increasing and/or new symptoms showing up lasting continuously for more than 24 hours and separated from the previous exacerbation by 30 days. These are guidelines, your Neurologist should be consulted if you have any questions or concerns about your particular situation. Symptoms that last less than 24 hours or that come and go randomly is considered normal in MS.

Although you have only been diagnosed for four months you more than likely have had the disease for much longer. Based on that it would be possible to become progressive after only four months of diagnosis. Is it possible to become disabled within a year after diagnosis...yes. However, your assumption of what is happening may be incorrect and the reason it's important to communicate with your Neurologist.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Postby cene » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:03 am

Snoopy wrote:Hello cene,

Are you having an exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up)? The definition of an exacerbation is old symptoms increasing and/or new symptoms showing up lasting continuously for more than 24 hours and separated from the previous exacerbation by 30 days. These are guidelines, your Neurologist should be consulted if you have any questions or concerns about your particular situation. Symptoms that last less than 24 hours or that come and go randomly is considered normal in MS.

Although you have only been diagnosed for four months you more than likely have had the disease for much longer. Based on that it would be possible to become progressive after only four months of diagnosis. Is it possible to become disabled within a year after diagnosis...yes. However, your assumption of what is happening may be incorrect and the reason it's important to communicate with your Neurologist.

Thanks for your reply

Most of the symptoms are coming and going randomly. Recently only stable symptom i have is fatigue and muscle stiffness and spasms but also are changing during the day and mostly by night are gone.
Also last one week I have this strange feeling in my legs like they are oversensitive, with pins and tired for movement but coordination is still very good.
cene
Getting to Know You...

Postby ElliotB » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:24 am

Unfortunately there is no set pattern for MS and everyone's symptoms and progression and be unique so the answer unfortunately is 'yes' to both of your questions.

The 'good' news is that your symptoms are coming and then going, you are still RRMS.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion