Tovaxin II b Clinical Trial

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Lyon
Family Elder

Tovaxin II b Clinical Trial

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
scoobyjude
Family Elder

Post by scoobyjude »

Bob, I'm no expert by any means but I was very excited about Tovaxin when I read about it. You're right, everything does lead back to Tim but it just seems to make sense as a treatment. It's understandable even to a numbskull like me why it would work. I didn't look any further into it because I believe you have to sign on for a minimum 3 years of treatment and I hope to wrangle my boyfriend into marrying me and starting a family by then. I'm 32 and running out of time to be a mommy. :D I don't think I could honestly make that commitment right now but if I were younger or older, I think I would've tried it.
sh8un
Family Elder

Post by sh8un »

Hi Lyon,
Wow...I really don't get these trials and how they work. I thought that Tovaxin IIb had started in June 5th or something like that. Do different centers start at different times? That makes no sense to me.
Well...I am really interested in Tovaxin as well. Like you, I keep looking for info on the vaccine but the only thing that I find is Tim's stories. I am not sure what to think of him but Tovaxin sounds interesting and scary at the same time. Like any experimental drug out there, if it works the way they think it will, it 's great, but we know that's not always the case. I don't have any info to help you. All I know is that it's in phase two and that it sounds like it might work. I juat wanted to ask you to please please please keep us updated on it if your wife decides to participate and to say good luck. Personally, I would participate. There were previous studies by Dr. Zhang that were done in the 90's with vaccines. I read one of them and it which was a monovalent vaccine. It was confusing and I don't want to say that I understood it for sure but it seemed to me that it said it worked well for those in the early stages. It worked somewhat for those in the late stages but once the vaccine was d/c there was an accelerated relapse rate for those in the late stages. I have to say again that the paper was confusing to me and I am not sure if I got the right message. :oops: I love my posts. When i start writing, I really think that I have good info but then it just doesn't end up that way. Sorry.
NN
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
sh8un
Family Elder

Post by sh8un »

Thanx Lyon for making me feel better about my posts. Here is an earlier discussion on the site about Tovaxin
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-1597-day ... asc-0.html.
I really find isecu's comments interesting. It's on page three. That's why I am not so sure about what Tim says. I also emailed Tim many times. He never responded.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
sh8un
Family Elder

Post by sh8un »

I agree with you. I no longer really trust Tim all that much but I do think that Tovaxin has potential. I know that you will ask the right questions to find out if you guys should do this or not. We just have to look else where for info.
NN
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Tovaxin II b Clinical Trial

Post by NHE »

Lyon wrote:With the possibility of entering the clinical trial starting to seem like a reality, I'm seeking input from the thisisms braintrust........yes, this means YOU!
I also have hopes that something will come of Tovaxin. The information that I've read on it seems promising and it's one of the few treatments for MS that really makes sense to me. Nearly all people have some autoimmune T cells. See the following paper in Nature Reviews Immunology for an interesting discussion. One of the problems in people with MS is that these autoreactive T cells are not regulated well and are allowed to persist. It would be great if a vaccine such as Tovaxin could retrain the immune system to eliminate just those T cells which attack myelin. Now with respect to news about Tovaxin, you can always read the research articles linked to on Opexa's website. In addition, here's a link to one of my threads where I posted a link to an interview with David McWilliams the then CEO of Pharmafrontiers.

I sincerely wish your wife the best if she is accepted into the Tovaxin trial. If I was starting over again freshly diagnosed, then it would be high on my list of considerations. Lastly, with respect to your wife's liver problems with IFN-B, if she ever considers going back on it, then you may want to look into supplements which have been reported to help the liver. Some of these include antioxidants such as n-acetyl cysteine and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) from green tea.

NHE
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Tovaxin II b Clinical Trial

Post by CureOrBust »

NHE wrote:you may want to look into supplements which have been reported to help the liver
Milk thistle is the one i always read about for the liver. I have never really tried it myself. All my blood tests have shown my liver to be made of steel (full rebif with 80mg Simvastatin at the same time & then Lipitor on its own), but then again, I take NAC & I have had suppliments which contain milk thistle in them as well.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
flipflopper
Family Elder

Post by flipflopper »

Lyon wrote:As a matter of fact age might be a problem for my wife. I didn't notice it in the qualifications in this clinical trial but in earlier Tovaxin trials 45 was the upper limit....and my wife is 47.

This link: http://www.clinicaltrial.gov/ct/show/NC ... 22?order=1 mentions that you need to be between 18 – 55 years old to participate in the study. Your wife is eligible to enrol in this clinical trial if she wants to.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisnchenell

Post by chrisnchenell »

I have been accepted into the Tovaxin trial...please spread the word. Go to my site at www.chrishasms.org

I will be blogging, chatting, and time lining it as well.

Good grief people, this disease takes enough, don't take away hope. This worKs folks. 400 people worldwide can't be wrong!!
sh8un
Family Elder

Post by sh8un »

Hi!!!!
I am so happy that you have decided to post your experiences. I have been looking all over for anything on this vaccine. I hope it works. I hope you have a great experience and that you will see lots of benefits.
NN
ps which 400 ppl are you talking about?????