TENS machine

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

TENS machine

Postby carolew » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:03 pm

Hello out there fellow MSers! Has anyone heard of or tried using a TENS machine to rebuild a muscle or muscle group? The central nervous system is affected, often the peripheral nerves are preserved. A Tens machine should function and help build muscle strength it seems. I am thinking of trying it. So, your experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Carolew :?
carolew
Family Elder

Advertisement

Sounds helpful

Postby lyndacarol » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:31 pm

Carolew--please post your experience, if you try the TENS. I could use help building muscle strength; this might be helpful.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:38 am

I bought a TENS machine a few years ago, before i was diagnosed with MS. I cant say at the time that i noticed any real improvements in muscle strength. However recently, its been on my mind to dig it up again, if i can remember where i stored it!

I will look harder for it this weekend, and let you know how i go. I see it helping with toning smaller muscle groups that would be hard to tone without some other muscle tiring and limiting the work-out.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby carolew » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:58 am

I will try to ask a physiotherapist what they think about that method.
carolew
Family Elder

tens

Postby Muu » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:56 am

My oesteopath uses Tens (but not on me). I am due to see him next week and will ask about muscle building or whether he just uses it for pain relief. I used it for the latter reason with child no:1 and I believed it helped.
Muu
Muu
Family Elder

Postby Sharon » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:11 pm

To All -

The TENS unit is used to reduce pain; I do not believe it will help in muscle strength. I have an EMS (electrical muscle stimulator) from EMPLI which has multiple settings. I use it for gait training, small muscle groups, large muscle groups, opposing muscles (hamstrings vs quads), It also has a TENS setting for pain. The units are about $500; my insurance paid for mine. One needs to be educated on how to use the units by a physical therapist. We all know that in order to retain your muscle strength you have to continually work at it. The EMS units are just another tool to help you. They are not magic -- but they will help.

Sharon
Sharon
Family Elder

Postby carolew » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:50 pm

Wow, thanks Sharon, that is the type of info I was looking for. Will have to look into those machines now.
I just feel that my walking only needs to get my left toe up by about half an inch to pass that foot because of the drop foot. When I am tired, that extra pull on the toe would be sooo helpful. carolew
carolew
Family Elder

Postby Sharon » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 pm

Carolew -

If you have foot drop, you might try something called a "Dorsi-strap".

http://www.x-strap.com/dorsi-strap.htm

I use it for walking in the mall, yard work, golf - anytime when I know my foot might get tired or that I might need help with the toe clearance. It was a great help to me this Spring when I was following my grandchildren around Disneyworld, SeaWorld, etc, etc. It is really quite simple - it is inexpensive and it really does help with the foot drop. And, it isn't a big, bulky foot brace!

Hope this helps!

Sharon
Sharon
Family Elder

Postby carolew » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:11 am

Thanks again Sharon. I looked over the site for the dorsi-srap. I wanted one but they only ship to the states :( I am in Canada. So, I will have to drive to NewYork State or have it sent to my aunt in the states who then will ship it to me :) Will manage somehow. Take care
carolew
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:06 pm

dont some couriers do a direct pick up?
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby mrhodes40 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:25 am

Carolew,
here's another company. I ordered both a sede-o and the footup from them, I do not live in Canada, but maybe they will post there...
marie
http://www.ankleshop.com/search.asp?pg= ... =foot+drop
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Postby carolew » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:49 am

Thank you all. The other thing I will do is just ask the rehab centers around here to see what they use. Surely, in Canada, we must have something. We are not retards! :lol: have a good day. Carolew
carolew
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:14 am

Sharon wrote:The TENS unit is used to reduce pain

Yep, your right, mine is an EMS unit. And its now pulsating away on my right leg as i type.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby Muu » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:17 pm

I suffer from foot drop too which meant that uneven pavements, rugs etc were a nightmare with regular falls. My physio fitted me with an orthosis- a foot splint which is L shaped. It fits under the foot and supports the ankle and lower leg. It helps lift the foot that extra inch which makes all the difference. I can now walk further, more confidently and without the humiliating falls.
Muu
Muu
Family Elder

Postby carolew » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:45 pm

Muu, is your L shaped prosthesis rigid or does it bend when you take a step?
carolew
Family Elder

Next

Return to General Discussion