Sativex

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
bromley
Family Elder

Sativex

Post by bromley »

The makers of Sativex are seeking the treatment to be licenced in the UK and Europe. It has been licenced in Canada for some time. Has anyone from Canada had any experience of this treatment?

Ian

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5319786.stm
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

i think HarryZ's wife tried it out, if I'm not mistaken...
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Sativex

Post by HarryZ »

Hi Ian,
bromley wrote:The makers of Sativex are seeking the treatment to be licenced in the UK and Europe. It has been licenced in Canada for some time. Has anyone from Canada had any experience of this treatment?
My wife has used Sativex on a number of occasions. It DOES work, is totally painless to take and you certainly don't get any of the "high" effects that smoking MJ may give you.

She used it far more often before she started on Lyrica. The Lyrica has pretty much got rid of her overnight spasms. SHe still has the day time spasms and increasing the Lyrica to try and fix this results in severe nausea for her.

Sativex, about 20 mins after taking it, starts to take the "edge" off pain and spasms. It works for about 4 hours. On some occasions Marg used two "sprays" when having a lot of pain.

The only drawback to Sativex is the cost. You get about 50 "sprays" for
CAD $ 155.00. Some patients I've heard have used up to 10 sprays or more a day...do the math and you'll see what I mean.

I've heard some critics state that the drug lovers would abuse Sativex to get a high. Well, I'm guessing that if you want a high, street MJ would be a lot cheaper than Sativex and Sativex doesn't give the "high" that those people would want.

I hope the UK govt approves it because it is beneficial for certain conditions.

Take care.

Harry

Return to “General Discussion”