Worried about my partner.

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Worried about my partner.

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

With everything you've described, you have a problem on your hands. Essentially, you are left to guess and he is not helping himself.

Can you get him to test for underlying infections such as EBV, chlamydia Pn, rickettsia and mycoplasmas? Also can he go to a good sports massage practioner and get any tightness identified and, hopefully, a program to release it. If he exercises try to make it eccentric muscle movement like pilates or yoga rather than concentric movement like weight work in a gym.
By all means look at optimal nutrition but identifying possible causes of underlying inflammation is just as important.
This is broadly what happened to me and how I deal with it - http://www.mstranslate.com.au/ms-many-s ... ty-andrew/ and http://www.mstranslate.com.au/ms-many-s ... e-fatigue/ and http://www.mstranslate.com.au/ms-many-s ... y-muscles/

Regards,
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

there is an entire constellation of key nutrients to consider where ms is concerned, and for both acute and chronic diseases in general.

magnesium is one of several to focus on when d3 supplementation is on the agenda. magnesium deficits are also associated with muscle spasms and sensory issues. magnesium deficit makes it hard to retain and utilize potassium, which is another key player in muscle function.

sources vary but off the top of my head i think for men the basic recommendation for daily mag is about 400 mg, women about 300mg. meanwhile other sources recommend 7-10mg per kg body weight per day. that can push things higher than 400 mg quite easily.

d3 dose response is vastly different in different individuals, and can be in single individuals at different times. in my case, d3 dose response was okay when i was at the start of my nutrition learning curve. now after getting my nutritional house in order a bit, i get triple the vit d3 dose response. specifically with one regimen early on, i had a serum d3 level increase of around 70 nmol/L (up 28 ng/ml). later, after careful upgrades to a wide array of nutrient intakes, and with a slightly reduced regimen aiming for a 50 nmol/l (20 ng/ml) boost, instead the levels shot up by 170 nmol/L ending me up at 271 nmol/L (109 ng/ml).

since then i've run into people here at TiMS who were having issues getting the d3 level to move, and after the addition of a high quality multimineral regimen, d3 levels finally moved into a more desirable target range.

re mineral intakes - varied nutrient dense dietary sources are best, and if needed a high quality supplement product can be added. as a manufactured multi mineral component, magnesium oxide is the worst form (unless you really want a laxative instead and you're not fussed about absorption into tissue). my fave supplemental form is magnesium glycinate.

any d3 supplements should always be taken with magnesium (among other things). and then you make sure you get more magnesium *away* from the d3 intake, because your body needs it for about 300 other things - not just dealing with d3!!

re just d3 as the root of all evil - there are just no single silver bullets with most chronic diseases - we are complex systems weaving together loads of essential and interrelated ingredients. there are thousands of pathways to maintain and if levels are suboptimal there are so many different ways the body can triage, so many different ways for one part of the overall system to start acting up. all super fascinating!!!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
WorriedGF
Getting to Know You...

Post by WorriedGF »

Scott1 wrote:Hi,

With everything you've described, you have a problem on your hands. Essentially, you are left to guess and he is not helping himself.

Can you get him to test for underlying infections such as EBV, chlamydia Pn, rickettsia and mycoplasmas? Also can he go to a good sports massage practioner and get any tightness identified and, hopefully, a program to release it. If he exercises try to make it eccentric muscle movement like pilates or yoga rather than concentric movement like weight work in a gym.
By all means look at optimal nutrition but identifying possible causes of underlying inflammation is just as important.
This is broadly what happened to me and how I deal with it - http://www.mstranslate.com.au/ms-many-s ... ty-andrew/ and http://www.mstranslate.com.au/ms-many-s ... e-fatigue/ and http://www.mstranslate.com.au/ms-many-s ... y-muscles/

Regards,
He's been tested for EBV (he had chronic mono at age 13) and his tests look okay for that too. He had a basic STD test, but I've been his only partner. I'll look into the last 3.

We don't have health insurance so the cost of some of those might be out of our range :-( I'll try to budget a bit more for him, if needed. We really need to get this figured out. It's not that he doesn't want to help himself but he has fear of going into debt over it.

He's seeing a chiro/ message therapist that actually deals with sport medicine. He does yoga, he does stretches (provided by them).

But whatever this, is affecting his quality of life. I'm sure many people have it "worse than him" but I think it would give us both closure to finally figure out the root cause.
WorriedGF
Getting to Know You...

Post by WorriedGF »

jimmylegs wrote:s and sensory issues. magnesium deficit makes it hard to retain and utilize potassium, which is another key player in muscle function.

sources vary but off the top of my head i think for men the basic recommendation for daily mag is about 400 mg, women about 300mg. !
He takes 1,500 MG of magnesium oxide a day. This dosage was regulated by a health care professional. It's more than the recommended on-package but you can go up to 2,000 MG per day (I typically take 2,000 MG of this stuff, it's amazing).

I also make him have two banana's in his protein shake a day (for the potassium) :)

This issue is with all that we've been doing for over a year... this isn't a normal healthly person. That is what is concerning me. A healthy person doesn't need to take several supplements a day to feel decent. >_< I want to get more answers. Health care in America sucks so badly :(
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ouch that is a terrible sounding prescription :S the laxative effect of such a high mag oxide intake must be terrible on nutrient absorption capacity.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

into the lit on laxative excess and diarrhea, impacts on nutrient absorption. specific effects on specific nutrient levels are not leaping out of the lit though. ending up in the anorexia/bulemia research; not the thing :S serum nutrient details vague, as in:

Laxative Abuse - Epidemiology, Diagnosis and Management (2010)
https://www.aarpmedicareplans.com/partn ... actice.pdf
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

You seem to have a problem with the cost of health care. If I had these problems I would be thinking of migrating to any civilized country not run by Trump. If you want a sure-fire test that detects MS, given the shape he is in, I would try a hottish bath. One of the most reliable problems with MS is heat intolerance. If you react with all-over weakness to the point where you cannot get out of the bath (try it first at a lower temperature and make sure you can get out easily). The problem here, I believe, is that the brain has no good way to get rid of heat. If this test works, have a cooling neck-cover (I use ones with hydrophilic crystals inside) handy. Once this is on, it will likely take away the weakness, enough for you to get out of the bath.

I think if people with this problem try to ignore the excessive heat, the symptoms may last days to weeks before they feel better, even after the excessive heat has gone away.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)

Return to “General Discussion”