Choking on food and drink?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Choking on food and drink?

Postby sarah4756 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:56 pm

Lately, for the last couple of weeks every time I eat something it goes down the wrong way and I start choking. This happens occasionally with drinking as well. I also have been urinating a lot more frequently in the past weeks as well. I have read that both these things are symptoms of MS and I am worried.
I have been worried about MS for a while now and have had other symptoms such as weird prickling pains in hands and legs which I got checked out at the doctors and were put down as a side effect of a medication I was taking at the time. I stopped worrying about MS for a while but my fear has come back in full force and I'm 100% convinced I have it, but I'm unsure whether to go to the doctor or not again as it is expensive if they are only going to tell me it's anxiety? Help what do you think?
sarah4756

Advertisement

Re: Choking on food and drink?

Postby NHE » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:46 pm

sarah4756 wrote:Lately, for the last couple of weeks every time I eat something it goes down the wrong way and I start choking. This happens occasionally with drinking as well. I also have been urinating a lot more frequently in the past weeks as well. I have read that both these things are symptoms of MS and I am worried.
I have been worried about MS for a while now and have had other symptoms such as weird prickling pains in hands and legs which I got checked out at the doctors and were put down as a side effect of a medication I was taking at the time. I stopped worrying about MS for a while but my fear has come back in full force and I'm 100% convinced I have it, but I'm unsure whether to go to the doctor or not again as it is expensive if they are only going to tell me it's anxiety? Help what do you think?

Welcome to ThisIsMS. MS shares symptoms with many other conditions. An MS diagnosis is a process of eliminating these other conditions as a possibility through testing. What diagnostic tests have you had done? For example, a vitamin B12 deficiency can cause many neurological symptoms. Have you been tested for B12? What were the results?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby sarah4756 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:16 am

I do not know if I have been tested for B12, but have had a full blood work up in the past month? I assume they would have tested for this but I am not sure. I did not have any abnormal results.
sarah4756

Postby NHE » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:57 am

sarah4756 wrote:I do not know if I have been tested for B12, but have had a full blood work up in the past month? I assume they would have tested for this but I am not sure. I did not have any abnormal results.

I'm not sure what a full blood work-up is, perhaps a CBC and a metabolic panel? These tests don't address vitamin B12 deficiency. Tests for B12 typically include serum B12, homocysteine, red blood cell folate and methylmalonic acid.

You may be interested in reading the following topic for more information.

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-approach-f27/topic24857.html

In addition, I recommend watching this video as a good introduction to B12 deficiency.

"Everything You Want Your Doctor to Know about Vitamin B12"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvEizypoyO0
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby sarah4756 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:18 am

sorry so are you saying you do not believe it may be ms? or that I should rule out other things first?
sarah4756

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:18 am

with chronic illness everyone should always ensure equal attention to optimizing health as they should to seeking a diagnosis. nutrition testing is not often done to the extent it should be. when it is done, the interpretation of results is often flawed. the term 'normal' is falsely reassuring. deficiency exists within 'normal' ranges. it's a stats term, bell curve stuff, and when the society as a whole is prone to disease you do not want to be 'normal' as in 'like the rest of them'. mainstream docs don't tend to look any more carefully than 'normal' or 'not normal' at any nutrient. but ppl with chronic illnesses often have lower 'normal' levels than those seen in healthy controls. ask for a referral to a dietitian for help to ensure your daily essential nutritional needs are being met. most people aren't meeting these, and when i say most i am talking close to 100%. even a high percent of health professionals do not meet targets (i don't have that stat off the top of my head though). the consequences vary for individuals given the complex interplay of personal environments, day to day choices and behaviours, and genetics.

vit b12 deficit is the oldest and best known nutritional differential dx for ms. the 'normal' range for it sucks. optimal is much higher.
related old post re how dumb i used to be about b12 before dx (and relatively early on in my science education too), including issues with the b12 test itself, and the target i have been in the habit of using:
natural-approach-f27/topic18560-30.html#p62196

i've since learned about the array of essential nutrients involved in ms. when i had the worst issues with swallowing (and breathing) it was a magnesium problem. also well documented as an issue for ms patients.

here's a topic in which a patient with an msdx goes, in a few pages of posts, through a wide array of mostly relevant tests. introductions-f20/topic28969.html#p247337 in his case testing picked up an atypically high ferritin level which you don't necessarily see with ms patients in general, but otherwise his bloodwork story is pretty typical, and likely interesting if you're curious. there's lots of good magnesium info in there as well.
odd sx? no dx? check w/ dietitian
DRI=MINIMUM eg bit.ly/1vgQclQ
99% don't meet these. meds/lifestyle can affect levels
status can be low in ms & other cond'ns
'but my results are normal'. typical panels don't test all
deficits occur in 'normal' range
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby NHE » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:19 am

sarah4756 wrote:or that I should rule out other things first?

Yes. MS is the proverbial zebra. If you hear hoof beats, then think horses (unless your on safari in Africa). A diagnosis of MS is a diagnosis of exclusion. It's important to rule out more common causes of neurological symptoms as some of these may be much more effectively treatable than MS.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Return to General Discussion