Definitions

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Muu
Family Elder

Post by Muu »

Hello there. I have SPMS and am on the Lamotrigine trail at the National Hospital in London. As the trial is double blind, neither the medics monitoring me or I know whether I'm taking a placebo or the real thing. The trial is investigating the neuroprotective qualities of Lamotrigine more commonly used for people with epilepsy. My understanding (this is where I start to flounder folks !) is that the drug inhibits the passing of sodium through channels where myelin has been damaged and in doing so prevents any further damage or deterioration that could otherwise be caused by too much sodium crossing these barriers. Dr G is my neuro and recommended me for the trial but the supervising consultant for the trial is actually Dr Raj Kapoor (although the monitoring is undertaken by research fellows).
Muu
gwa
Family Elder

trial length

Post by gwa »

muu,

How long will this trial last? Is the purpose of the drug to stop progression in SPMS patients?

gwa
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

GWA,

The trial lasts for two years - from start of this year. The aim is to stop the axons degnerating which should prevent / radically slow down axonal degeneration and the related disability.

Ian

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/research/ms ... o2005.html
gwa
Family Elder

phase of trial

Post by gwa »

Is lamotrigine in phase II or phase III clinical trial?

gwa
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

I think it's Phase II, but given that it is already used for epilepsy, if it shows effectiveness in this trial I'm sure neuros could prescribe it.

Ian
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
gwa
Family Elder

Cupid

Post by gwa »

Bob,

Interesting link. The CUPID trial would be great to get into because the med should not kill or otherwise maim us and it looks like it actually works.

The fact that it is a pill is a definite plus too. It should also be cheap by current ABC drug standards. :D

gwa
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shayk
Family Elder

CNS Immune Privilege

Post by Shayk »

Hi Bob

I agree with gwa the lamotrogine trial sounds interesting. It's so nice to have a trial of something that may be neuroprotective to axons. :)

Now, after people have read your "must read" link, about the immune system, T Cells, etc.....here's another "must read" IMO.

CNS Immune Privilege: Hiding in Plain Sight
CNS autoimmunity and neurodegeneration were presumed automatic consequences of immune cell encounter with CNS antigens. Recent data have dramatically altered this viewpoint by revealing that the CNS is neither isolated nor passive in its interactions with the immune system....
This newer view of CNS immune privilege is opening the door for therapies designed to harness autoreactive lymphocyte responses and also implies (i) that CNS autoimmune diseases (i.e. multiple sclerosis) may result as much from neuronal and/or glial dysfunction as from immune system dysfunctions and (ii) that the severe neuronal and glial dysfunction associated with neurodegenerative disorders (i.e. Alzheimer's disease) likely alters CNS-specific regulation of lymphocyte responses affecting the utility of immune-based therapies (i.e. vaccines).
Remember--I'm not in the auto-immune camp. :wink:

Sharon
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

oo
Last edited by Lyon on Sat May 07, 2011 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Bob

I quite agree with you. The more alternatives explored the better. :) And, without a doubt we all want a cure.

Sharon
Muu
Family Elder

Post by Muu »

Yes, Ian is correct. The trial is 2 years long. I started on it in June 06 altho I believe the first participants started v late in 2005. I'm not up to speed on how the medical profession in the US treat SPMS but here in the Uk there are no drugs prescribed by NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence!) for this stage of the disease. Lets hope the trial comes up with the goods.
Muu

Return to “General Discussion”