Insulin: A role in cancer, inflammation, & Alzheimers

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Re: On insulin testing

Postby CureOrBust » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:00 am

lyndacarol wrote:There are two types of tests: a fasting serum insulin test and a post prandial (after eating) test.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you would recommend the fasting test right?

Yes, i know, I am one of those people who promised to get the test done, its just hard to organise with my dr, work and everything else. Worst case senario (if my dr is not on holidays) i will get it done over the christmas break.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Advertisement

Just my opinion on insulin test

Postby lyndacarol » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:29 pm

CureOrBust, if a person is going to get one of the insulin tests, my opinion is that the fasting test would be more useful.

Here is my logic: After fasting all night, the insulin level should be at its lowest. Although our lab lists the reference or "normal" range as 6-27, the result should be below 10. With the range used for both tests, one might be tempted to think that 11, 12, or 13 would still be fine because it falls within the range. But not so.

11, 12, or 13 would be a fine result for post prandial (after eating) to indicate the pancreas was producing an adequate amount to take care of glucose, without overcompensating too much (The healthy pancreas always produces a little more than absolutely necessary.)

If the fasting test is high, your doctor may want to do the post prandial. If that is also high, he may want a test (probably a CT scan or perhaps ultrasound)to look for a tumor (insulinoma--could be benign or malignant) as cause.

But there does not have to be an insulinoma to cause excess insulin production--just an overactive pancreas. This malfunctioning pancreas and the excess insulin it secretes is the start of our MS problem, in MY opinion.

Now, I think in relapsing-remitting the pancreas may be flickering like a malfunctioning lightbulb or electrical appliance; and it may have periods of proper functioning. But I think with progressive or continuing disability the pancreas has gone berserk and produces too much ALL the time.

In any event, I think the fasting test is the place to start and may be all that is needed, depending on the result and your physician's advice.

I understand the problems of scheduling around everything; I still hope it can be done and that you will be willing to share (in a confidential message if you like) the results. You must know how interested I am!

from the "insulin-girl"
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Just my opinion on insulin test

Postby CureOrBust » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:16 am

lyndacarol wrote:Now, I think in relapsing-remitting the pancreas may be flickering like a malfunctioning lightbulb or electrical appliance; and it may have periods of proper functioning.

Which, if your understanding is correct would mean someone could return with a good result, but still have insulin as the cause? Actually, I was just thinking, my only trigger for a relapse is a cold/flu. Is this a known issue for the pancreas/insulin?

lyndacarol wrote:I still hope it can be done and that you will be willing to share

WHEN i get it done (as opposed to if :wink: ), I would share with all, either way.

lyndacarol wrote:"insulin-girl"

Thats gotta be more comfortable than "worm-man"

So I thought to myself, what else might affect my results. and medications came to mind. Statins (lipitor) in particular crossed my mind. So I searched in google and found the following:
CONCLUSION: Our study suggests that using pravastatin in the dyslipidemia treatment of metabolic syndrome with IGT may be an effective approach by its advantageous effects on insulin resistance.....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=15589072&dopt=Citation where IGT stands for "impaired glucose tolerance "

If you do a search, there are many hits.

I also came accross this Advertising page, that had the following as the ingredients to their magical product to lower insulin resistance. I think i have herd you speak of some of these before:
Banaba
Documented for it's ability to lower blood sugar and act as a glucose transport in the blood stream. Known by some as botanical insulin.

Bitter Melon
Noted for it's regulative abilities and to improve glucose tolerance. Recommended by Dept. of Health in the Philippines as one of the best herbal medicines for diabetes management.

Cinnamon
USDA research indicates that Cinnamon reduces the amount of insulin necessary for glucose metabolism. Furthermore, Cinnamon has been shown to stimulate glucose uptake and glycogen synthesis to similar level as insulin.

Gymnema Sylvestre
A Harvard study indicates the Gymnema can lower blood sugar levels in Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics. A King's College, London, study states that Gymnema acts by increasing cell permatibility, therefore reducing insulin resistance.

Huckleberry
Helps to improve circulation in the little capillaries in the hands and feet. Also valuable in balancing the digestion and strengthening the immune system.

Chromium
Starting in the 1960's reports have shown that Chromium helps cells respond properly to naturally produced insulin. Current estimates show that 90% of Americans are lacking in this essential mineral nutrient.

Zinc
Zinc contributes many factors in correct insulin function. Zinc is necessary for the pancreas to produce insulin and allows insulin to work effectively, it also helps protect the insulin receptor cells. When zinc levels are low, the pancreas may not secrete enough insulin, so glucose levels remain high, and the insulin that is released cannot work as efficiently as it could. When this happens, glucose cannot enter the cells properly causing high levels in the blood.

Biotin
Biotin is a B vitamin needed to process glucose. One study showed that Type 1 diabetics given 16mgs of Biotin for one week cut their fasting glucose by 50%. A type 2 study showed similar results. There is also some indication that Biotin helps relieve pain from diabetic nerve damage.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Pancreas and insulin testing

Postby lyndacarol » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:13 am

CureOrBust wrote:
Which, if your understanding is correct would mean someone could return with a good result, but still have insulin as the cause?

Based solely on my observations, I think the answer is yes. Especially early in the disease when attacks and deficits are few. A high school friend had one attack (of several months and significant severity) in 1992, upon which a "probable MS" diagnosis was made. I think if her insulin had been tested at that time, it would have been high. She recovered her abilities (during which time I think her pancreas was re-booting to normal) and she reports no problems now and "feeling strong as an ox."

I think timing of the test MAY affect the result.

In my opinion, there is still the possibility that the pancreas may continue to malfunction to a lesser degree with resulting disabilities being mild. The function switch is not limited to "high" and "low," but many degrees between.

To your question:
Actually, I was just thinking, my only trigger for a relapse is a cold/flu. Is this a known issue for the pancreas/insulin?

Again, MY opinion, based on my own chronic sinus drainage (noted on each MRI as severe sinusitis), is that mucus acts as glucose in the system to stimulate insulin secretion. All my friends with MS report having allergies, chronic sinus infections, sinus problems, etc. Given my suspicion, it is not surprising that a relapse would follow a cold/flu with its accompanying mucus. I am looking for a scientist to confirm that mucus has this property. As I recall, there are researchers at Utah working in this area.

But this is only one situation affecting the pancreas. Stress is known to cause increased insulin production. As could a virus or bacterium that settles into the pancreas; or simply genetic weakness there, it seems to me.

Thank you for posting your search find. Yes, I use cinnamon, chromium, and zinc currently, biotin in the recent past. I can't say I have seen any benefit with any of them.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:45 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:08 am

Lyon wrote:Hey! I LIKE being the worm man!

as i am sure hannible lecter... :wink:
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Previous

Return to General Discussion