Neuroprotection

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Neuroprotection

Postby finn » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:50 am

Sorry, time to leave the board.

-finn
Last edited by finn on Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
finn
Contributing Author

Advertisement

Postby wilson » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:31 am

I was using an Interferon but I was one of the few unfortunate ones that the side effects never diminished. I had to discontinue the drug but it was just too overwhelming.

I didn't not taking anything for my current chronic condition. So now I am starting Minocycline for my "acne". I am hoping my "acne" will be reduced. I don't how much the Interferon helped with my "acne", but I am sure I was making the company richer each month.

I hear that antibiotics kills off the good bacteria as well as the bad. Does anyone know what supplement I should take with an anitbiotic like Minocycline?
wilson
Family Member

Tetracycline also effective?

Postby MartinP » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:56 pm

Here in Sweden Minocycline is also unavailable. (It was previously available in Aricept - a medicine used by dentists to prevent infection after dental surgery).

However, I read somewherethat Minocycline is a derivative of Tetracycline which is commonly used here to treat acne. Would tetracycline have similar neuroprotective properties?
MartinP

Postby finn » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:28 pm

-finn
Last edited by finn on Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
finn
Contributing Author

Postby wilson » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:31 pm

Minocycline sold in the U.S. costs about $50 dollars for a 100 mg 60 count. Perhaps if you can find a way to get your presicription filled thru an online paharmacy...
wilson
Family Member

Getting a Minocycline prescription...

Postby MartinP » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:34 am

Hi finn,

I guess the healthcare system in Finland is similar to the Swedish one (i.e. you get your medicine of choice almost for free). Have you tried asking your doctor for a Minocycline prescription? Which companies make Minocycline? Maybe it would be possible to convince them to bring into the country.

Do you know if a prescription from one EU country is valid in a different EU country? In that case it might be easy to get the medicine from abroad.

Kind regards,

martin
MartinP

Postby finn » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:45 am

-finn
Last edited by finn on Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
finn
Contributing Author

Suggesting a study on minocycline...

Postby MartinP » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:39 am

Finn,

I will see if I can contact our neurologist here and get them to investigate the possibilities of a study on minocycline. As you say, countries like ours should be more open to do a study on "cheaper" treatments.

Do you have any info on the dosage that the Canadian study (Copaxone + Minocycline) were using?

regards,

Martin
MartinP

Postby CCmom » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:03 pm

Quick question...I'm wondering if minocycline is a derivative of the antibiotic used for treating Lyme Disease??? If so, this is very interesting, since new studies have determined that a great number of Lyme's patients are incorrectly diagnosed with MS. Certainly something to investigate!

Kim
Kim R.
CCmom
Volunteer Moderator

Postby finn » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:59 am

-finn
Last edited by finn on Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
finn
Contributing Author

Postby CCmom » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:29 am

Thanks for your reply, Finn. Lyme Disease has always been of interest to me as far as my son goes. When this roller coaster ride intially started, he was covered in mosquito bites and labeled with encephalitis. I have read numerous studies regarding the transmission of Lyme disease, and supposedly it is far more easily spread than we originally thought.

It was 6 months before my son was tested for Lyme, with a negative result, of course. I have tried repeatedly to find out why he wasn't tested initially at Vandy, but to no avail. I blame myself to an extent, but I spent the first month of this ordeal in total shock, and it just took me awhile to jump start my brain again.

I have an interesting report from the Allergy Research Group on Lyme and treatment if you want to pm me your email addy.

Have a great day!

Kim
Kim R.
CCmom
Volunteer Moderator

Return to General Discussion