Again not MS but certainly related

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Melody
Family Elder

Again not MS but certainly related

Post by Melody »

:lol: :lol: I'm sure this Dr. must have read some of my ramblings on gut flora and correcting Johns as this is exactly the path John and I started on when they said the MS word in 2005. Leaky gut although not official diagnosed was one of John major problems at that time so we decided to eliminate food toxins which started the whole ball rolling up the damn hill for a change. :lol:
Balance in Diet, Temperment Key to Avoiding a Leaky Gut

Sunday, November 26, 2006 / Dr. Dennis Godby

Is your gut, “leaky?” Last month’s article on hidden and delayed food allergies (IgG reactions), concluded that “leaky gut syndrome” (LGS) is suspected if a person has multiple food allergies. The two primary treatment goals are: completely eliminate the offending foods and heal the gut lining.

LGS symptoms include: abdominal pain, asthma, chronic pain, poor memory, fatigue, mood swings, bed-wetting, and dozens of others. LGS is associated with: autoimmune conditions, Crohn’s, hives, acne, arthritis, eczema, liver dysfunction and others.

A healthy gut wall is determined by: genes; microflora balance or imbalance; and gut immunity. Since we have can’t control our genetic makeup, we will focus on the latter two.

Microflora imbalance can lead to LGS. While bacteria are often seen as the enemy, in reality, we can’t live without them. There are actually more bacteria (flora) in our gut than all of the cells in our body. Beneficial flora crowd out harmful bacteria, yeast and other pathogens. This flora helps to produce B vitamins and Vitamin K, and works in harmony with gut cells. Fiber from whole foods feeds these little guys, and their byproducts feed the gut cells. As Dr. Meletis, ND, emphasizes, “the role of these friendly gut bugs cannot be overstated; they are important mediators in building oral tolerance.”

The third factor that determines the gut wall integrity is the immune status. When healthy, the lining of the intestines is a barrier that allows only properly digested fats, proteins and carbohydrates and other critical minerals to pass through. Substances can also enter after the normally-sealed spaces have been irritated, the junctions loosen and permit larger unwanted substances to enter. The immune system sees these substances as the ENEMY, and an antibody reaction is established.

It is well-established that chronic stress leads to depressed immune function. To evaluate your lifestyle, you might ask yourself questions, such as: Do I sleep well? Do I exercise daily? Are my relationships life-giving and nurturing? Do I laugh often? Am I financially living beyond my means? Am I compulsively doing things at the expense of other fulfilling activities? Do I forgive myself and others? Do I live with gratitude? Do I see the glass half empty or half full? Am I enjoying my journey?

The food and drink we consume also affect the gut lining! Another question you might ask yourself, is: do I nourish my body in a tranquil environment with whole, alive foods, or do I gulp down fast, packaged, processed food under stress?

If you would like more information about doing the simple mannitol and lactulose test for LGS, you can contact a natural health practitioner.

-Dr. Dennis Godby, N.M.D. is a naturopathic medical doctor. Reach him at drgodby@diabetesnpc.com or 916-446-2591.
http://www.rocklintoday.com/news/templa ... &zoneid=53
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

melody wrote:Leaky gut although not official diagnosed was one of John major problems
I am guessing you didnt do the "sugar" test they have for this?
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

Not at that time John never went to the Doctor unless he had a complaint which was usually anaphylactic shock, ear infection or something along those lines which meant no choice. I just took my doctorate at GOOGLE :lol: :lol: and diagnosed a plan.
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.

Return to “General Discussion”