Rebif on Hold?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Rebif on Hold?

Postby Brothers » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:15 am

Greetings,

Appreciate the forum. Very informative. I'm legal guardian for my mentally challenged brother who is 4 years into his MS diagnosis.

Wondering if anyone has gone off Rebif cold turkey. Neuro has Tysabri infusion scheduled but wants my brother off Rebif for 30 days prior. Anything we need to watch for?

Again, thanks for so much information, much of it gleaned the hard way.

Todd
Brothers

Advertisement

Postby leeeeeway » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:29 am

Your brother should be OK going off Rebif...30 days off interferons prior to starting Tysabri is recommended/standard. Turns out taking Tysabri is a little more complicated than any of us wanted to believe two years ago. Read some of the Tysabri forum for more info...

Lee
leeeeeway
Family Member

Postby viper498 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:32 pm

I stopped Rebif cold turkey and had no problems at all (I actually felt better than I did when I was taking it).

Brock
viper498
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:32 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby dignan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:41 pm

The effects of Rebif/interferons stay with your immune system for about 6 months after you discontinue use, so the immune system shouldn't change too much in the 1 month before Tysabri.
dignan
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:44 pm

viper498 wrote:I stopped Rebif cold turkey and had no problems at all (I actually felt better than I did when I was taking it).
Ditto, and thats the reason I stopped.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Good to go!

Postby Brothers » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:11 am

Aside from the mild anxiety of changing his routine (think Rainman...) the last three weeks have been without event coming off Rebif. Thanks for the assurances.

Now, as mentioned by Leeeeeway, we're preping for Tysabri and the potential surprises that await. That part of the forum is loaded with interesting reading.

Thanks again,

Todd
Brothers

Re: Rebif on Hold?

Postby HarryZ » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:14 pm

Todd,

I guess the first question I have is how is your brother doing from a MS point of view and why does your doc want to change him from Rebif to Tysabri?

Tysabri is now being recommended for those MS patients who aren't doing well on any of the other MS medications. Also, insist that the doc inform you about ALL the pros and cons of Tysabri.

Harry
HarryZ
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion