outdoors

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

outdoors

Postby bromley » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:01 pm

bromley
Family Elder

Advertisement

good medicine

Postby gwa » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:42 pm

So Ian, did your new meds make you feel like hopping on the one high mountain in the UK and swishing down on your snowboard?

I am still rolling on the floor laughing at the thought of me on skis or snowboards. This site must be for newbies.

gwa :lol: :lol:
gwa
Family Elder

Postby dignan » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:59 pm

I guess I qualify as a bit of a newbie. If anybody wants to come up and give skiing / snowboarding a try, I have a comfy couch to sleep on.
dignan
Family Elder

Postby Muu » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:03 am

I'm sure that this article is aimed at early RRMS. If someone has remitted completely after a relapse there is no reason why they shouldn't do sport. Being out and active will make a person feel physically and emotionally better especially if this follows a relapse when there have been physical limitations. And there's the sunshine and the Vit D.
It's different with SPMS- believe me. I went skiing for about the 5th time at Easter. I've never been one of lifes natural skiers but passable. I don't really have many physical problems/limitations and the main effect of it is foot drop and weakness of the leg on one side. Skiing with that proved v difficult. After half a run my bad leg tired meaning I could only turn efficiently one way. Amusing for onlookers but not for me. My balance was right off- I didn't have it on my weaker side. I lost count of the number of times I fell that day. V depressing. I went back to my chalet and had a little cry. For the rest of the holiday I read my books in the sun and discovered the wonders on the local chocolate and mulled wine. After a glass or two of that things didn't seem so bad after all!
muu
Muu
Family Elder

Exercise restores levels of neurotrophins

Postby gibbledygook » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:49 am

Still exercise IS good for getting brain derived neurotrophins circulating.
<shortened url>

Muu, you are very brave in trying to ski. I long to ski but know that there's no way I could with my bad leg as is. I have been exercising so vigorously for the last month and a half that I have now developed Achilles tendonitis in my good leg!!! Serve me right for being such a desperado.

Annoyingly, given it's the season for mince pies and champagne, here's some science on why omega 3 is good and saturated fats are bad for brain derived neurotrophins.

<shortened url>

<shortened url>
gibbledygook
Family Elder

couch you say lol

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:54 am

hey brother dignanlegs where are you living these days!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby bromley » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:08 pm

Jimmylegs wrote:

hey brother dignanlegs where are you living these days!

So my playing Cupid has paid off. She's back from Oz and is trying to track him down and no doubt will be taking up his offer of a couch. I can see the two of them now - naked on a Polar Bear skin drinking champagne in front of a roaring log fire. And they said that romance was dead!

Lucky that for me a club class ticket to Canada to attend the wedding is just small change.

Ian
bromley
Family Elder

Postby dignan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:11 pm

Sister Jimmy, I'm living 400 km north of the middle of nowhere, in Smithers.

Gee Bromley, I don't know what to tell you...you've been so helpful...so kind...so giving...I find myself feeling all these emotions...confusion...I think I'm changing teams...I only have eyes for you now.
dignan
Family Elder

Postby Jaded » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:39 am

Thank you for those links gibbledeygook.

At last they are starting to realise that Dr Swank may have been right about saturated fats. 8)

J.
Jaded
Family Elder

Postby Muu » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:01 am

Ian's fantasising again. What did they give him in Cambridge?!?
Somehow I don't think it was Omega oils.
Muu
Muu
Family Elder

whoa!

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:14 am

SMITHERS! wow never been there. i could drop in and say hi in 2010 when i'm working on the olympics. gotta finish up the degree in onscario first ;) then back to BC again. say hi to darthlegs if you see him this holiday season
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:17 am

besides i'm useless in powder... :S hehehe
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

lab rat

Postby gwa » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:27 am

Ian,

No more lab rat trials for you. You have been hallucinating ever since you were released. :roll:

gwa
gwa
Family Elder

woo hoo!

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:55 am

k now i'm in rome, just so y'all know ;)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:35 am

brother dignanlegs, i hope you are keeping your toes dry!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussion