amyl nitrite

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
bromley
Family Elder

amyl nitrite

Post by bromley »

The UK MS Society is a poor cousin (financially) of the NMSS. However, this means that it sometimes funds some slightly different types of research.

I've never heard of amyl nitrite, but thought that CureorBust could add it to his (her) ever increasing list of drugs / supplements.

Ian

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/go.rm?id=19273:1
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Post by TwistedHelix »

Hi Bromley,

Amyl nitrite comes in little glass vials which you snap off at the neck, (hence the colloquial name, "poppers"), and deeply inhale the vapours. This gives a very strong head rush and explains why they are used so often recreationally, (don't ask me how I know).
The drug is an extremely powerful vasodilator, which is probably why it is being investigated in this case as it would allow more blood to reach the oxygen- and- glucose- starved nerves within the inflamed or sclerotic areas.

This new, (old), area of research immediately raises a few questions in my mind, namely:

If we make the blood vessels dilate, does this stretch open the tight gaps between endothelial cells and thus compromise the blood -brain barrier?

If vasodilation does work to alleviate some symptoms so quickly, could this explain the "miraculous" rapid effects of things such as Aimspro... could they inadvertently promote vasodilation as a beneficial side-effect?

It has quite often been suggested that MS may be a vascular disease. Headaches can also be caused by vasoconstriction or dilation, I've always been a very, "headachy", person, so I wonder if there could be a link there?

Dom.

PS, apologies for the photo but just remember... you only have to LOOK at that face -- I have to LIVE with it!!
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Dom,
It has quite often been suggested that MS may be a vascular disease. Headaches can also be caused by vasoconstriction or dilation, I've always been a very, "headachy", person, so I wonder if there could be a link there?
Back in the late 40's, Dr. Hinton Jonez thought that MS was a vascular disease. Of course he was at odds with the established MS medical community at that time. He treated thousands of MS patients with IV histamine and saw that about 80% of them improved.

Today Prokarin is the same kind of treatment but applied with a trans dermal patch and not via an IV. Many users report a benefit to using this drug. Perhaps there is something to the vascular theory.

Harry
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Good to see you TwistedHelix.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Dom / Harry,

Thanks.

Here is another UK researcher that seems to be coming at this disease from the vascular angle:

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/research/re ... nwood.html

Ian
gwa
Family Elder

Actifed

Post by gwa »

About 30 years ago I had a cold and took a dosage of Actifed. It made me jittery and I spent the day walking fast around my office. I was dragging my right leg then and still do.

This concerned me and I decided to never take this drug again. Now I wonder if the histamine properties of Actifed actually helped my legs maneuver better and faster.

Maybe some of the Prokarin ingredients are in Actifed.

gwa
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Vascular research

Post by lyndacarol »

I believe the medical specialties (e.g., pediatrics, neurology, etc.) came into existence about 1949. MS has been in the domain of the neurologist--maybe incorrectly. Vascular researchers may make more progress against this disease!! I hope so!!!
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Actifed

Post by HarryZ »

Gwa,
Maybe some of the Prokarin ingredients are in Actifed.

gwa
There are two main ingredients in Prokarin....histamine diphosphate and caffeine citrate. When histamine diphosphate is allowed to metabolize at a controlled speed (that's what the caffeine citrate does...slows down the metabolism of the drug) H2 neuro receptors are created and that's what allows many functions to normally carry on in your system. The amount of caffeine here is miniscule....the equivalent of drinking one cup of coffee over a 16 hour period if you get 100% absorption which never happens.

Actifed contains triprolidine which is an antihistmine and counters the production of histamine in your system. I'm just not sure what in the Actifed would cause what happened to you.

Harry
Lyon
Family Elder

Re: Vascular research

Post by Lyon »

lyndacarol wrote:MS has been in the domain of the neurologist--maybe incorrectly. Vascular researchers may make more progress against this disease!! I hope so!!!
Hi Lynda,
Due to my having an interest in the autoimmunes in general prior to my wife's diagnosis, I've always found it unfortunate that MS is the domain of neurologists but my thoughts led me to believe that people treating/researching MS should have a broader outlook on all of what we consider the autoimmune diseases.

Bob
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: amyl nitrite

Post by CureOrBust »

bromley wrote:I've never heard of amyl nitrite, but thought that CureorBust could add it to his (her) ever increasing list of drugs / supplements.
HE has already tried it, a few years ago (5?), before he even knew he had MS, just symptoms and a misdiagnosis. My doctor jokes that my medical record/history looks like a few pages from the merk manual. If I included all the medication/drugs/suppliments before the MS diagnosis...

It wasnt helpful for my MS symptoms, however, I may have been actually sold a different Nitrate (I have just read that they substitute stuff for amyl nitrate), and maybe I went to far.

It appears to also be well known for its effects on the human immune function, for example the following link:
Amyl nitrite alters human in vitro immune function. At least for once its not a bunch of mice.

I have a slight feeling of deja-vu.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

CureOrBust wrote:
bromley wrote:I've never heard of amyl nitrite, but thought that CureorBust could add it to his (her) ever increasing list of drugs / supplements.
HE has already tried it,
Hi Cure,
I suppose because something like 2/3 of those affected by MS are female I've been convinced this whole time that "CureOrBust" was a female.

NOW I know why you acted so odd when I called you a "girl" a week or so ago!

I'm sorry to have made the wrong assumption all this time!

Bob
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Lyon wrote:NOW I know why you acted so odd when I called you a "girl" a week or so ago!
Not so odd now, huh? well its all relative.

Return to “General Discussion”