Goji Juice finally found the show

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Melody
Family Elder

Goji Juice finally found the show

Post by Melody »

This will allow for each of us to make an informed decision. :wink:

Consumer Alert: CBC MarketPlace Reports on Goji Juice

Shocking Report Revealed on National Television
Vancouver, BC, Canada 2/3/2007 3:47 AM GMT (TransWorldNews)
CBC MarketPlace, a television program that protects consumers against untrue claims made about products, recently broadcast a consumer alert on a product known as "Himalayan Goji Juice".

In this amazing television special, CBC MarketPlace conducted actual lab tests on the Himalayan Goji Juice and discovered that the juice was in fact not really different than any other juice and that it certainly wouldn't make a person any healthier than if they drank Cranberry Juice, or any other juice for that matter. "The program revealed that Dr. Mindell's claims about the Himalayan Goji Juice were false, thus issuing what many would say would be a Consumer Alert about the product and its false claims." To see this broadcast now visit http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2007/01/goji.html

In this amazing Consumer Alert, CBC MarketPlace reveals the actual lab test results on what many were lead to believe would be the magic cure for their ailments, including cancer. Unfortunately the CBC MarketPlace lab tests proved that this juice really has no better healing powers than any other juice one might buy in the grocery store. To view this report visit http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2007/01/goji.html.

CBC MarketPlace proved that Dr. Mindell's claims were in fact not true and could not be supported by lab tests of his Himalyan Goji Juice. To view this amazing special click here http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2007/01/goji.html

Lab tests revealed that the "powerful ingredients" Mindell claimed were in the Goji Juice were not even in it and that these ingredients were in the raw Goji Berry and were not in the Goji Juice itself, marketed as "Himalayan Goji Juice".

The program reported numerous untrue statements made by Dr. Howard Mindell and about Himalayan Goji Juice. Himalayan Goji Juice is sold for almost $50 per bottle and is being marketed as a cure for a variety of ailments and terminal diseases, including cancer. After taking the juice back to the lab, CBC MarketPlace reported that the Himalyan Goji Juice was really no different than Cranberry Juice or any other juice. To see the program now click here http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2007/01/goji.html

Hidden cameras were placed inside a number of the FreeLife business presentations and corporate rally's and CBC MarketPlace revealed that numerous untru claims were made by Dr. Mindell and Freelife Distributors as to the healing powers of the Himalayan Goji Juice. Lab tests proved the juice to no different than any other juice. To see this amazing program now visit http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2007/01/goji.html

"CBC MarketPlace is a program that makes every effort to broadcast what they call consumer alerts on products and companies that are making untrue claims and giving innocent people false hopes of being cured or healed from their ailments". To view the program now click here http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2007/01/goji.html

http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory ... t=Business
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.
gwa
Family Elder

update

Post by gwa »

Melody,

Thanks for the update.

gwa
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Thanks Melody.

In that locked thread it seemed that some people felt alternative treatments in general were being attacked and that wasn't the case at all. This kind of huckstering is specifically what was being questioned.

I personally am a strong believer in alternatives as long as they aren't intended only to fleece someone.

Bob
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

As you know John's regime is pretty much alternates we use the copaxone as a crutch because we are frightened to death we might cause a decline by not taking the needles. 8O

I'm very interested in vitamin content, probiotics, spices and anything that could help. Throwing money to the winds just wasn't my interest as that would buy lots of turmeric, asparagus, brussel sprouts, garlic or a host of other's that I feel benefit. Opinions as usual. :lol:
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Thank you to Melody

Post by lyndacarol »

I NEVER intended to open the can of worms that I did with my question about Gojiberry!!! I had just heard of it and wanted more info. Thank you, Melody, for this information. It does help me make an informed decision!
Lyon
Family Elder

Re: Thank you to Melody

Post by Lyon »

lyndacarol wrote:I NEVER intended to open the can of worms that I did with my question about Gojiberry!!!
Hi Lynda,
Who could have known? :P

Despite the fact that it got out of hand I thought it was an interesting and useful thread and I notice that although the moderators locked it, they didn't delete it. Maybe they also thought there was some kind of lesson there?
Bob
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

even though I would place myself slap bang in the skeptics camp on goji juice, I did find the quoted articels to be over biased (I didnt actually read the articles, just the quotes melody provided). Certain juices are known to provide different nutritional effects (Cranberry for urinary infection or something, grapefruit not to be taken with statins etc etc), whereas their statements appeared toned more than a little biased as it groupped all juice together.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: More on Grapefruit Juice

Post by NHE »

CureOrBust wrote:Certain juices are known to provide different nutritional effects (Cranberry for urinary infection or something, grapefruit not to be taken with statins etc etc)
Grapefruit juice should probably also be avoided by those taking prednisone, for example, during a steroid treatment in an acute relapse.
  • Grapefruit juice can increase the plasma concentrations of oral methylprednisolone.
    Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2000 Sep;56(6-7):489-93.

OBJECTIVE: To investigate whether the pharmacokinetics of orally administered methylprednisolone and plasma cortisol concentrations are affected by administration of grapefruit juice. METHODS: In a randomised, two-phase, cross-over study, ten healthy subjects received either 200 ml double-strength grapefruit juice or water three times a day for 2 days. On day 3, 16 mg methylprednisolone was given orally with 200 ml grapefruit juice or water. Additionally, 200 ml grapefruit juice or water was ingested 0.5 h and 1.5 h after methylprednisolone administration. Plasma concentrations of methylprednisolone and cortisol were determined using liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS) over a 47-h period. RESULTS: Grapefruit juice increased the total area under the plasma methylprednisolone concentration-time curve (AUC 0--infinity) by 75% (P < 0.001) and the elimination half-life (t1/2) of methylprednisolone by 35% (P < 0.001). The peak plasma concentration of methylprednisolone (Cmax) was increased by 27% (P < 0.01). Grapefruit juice delayed the time to the Cmax from 2.0 h to 3.0 h (P < 0.05). There was no significant difference in the plasma cortisol concentrations, measured after methylprednisolone administration, between the water and grapefruit juice phases. However, grapefruit juice slightly decreased the morning plasma cortisol concentrations before methylprednisolone administration (P < 0.05). CONCLUSIONS: Grapefruit juice given in high amounts moderately increases the AUC 0--infinity and t1/2 of oral methylprednisolone. The increase in t1/2 suggests that grapefruit juice can affect the systemic methylprednisolone metabolism. The clinical significance of the grapefruit juice-methylprednisolone interaction is small, but in some sensitive subjects high doses of grapefruit juice might enhance the effects of oral methylprednisolone.
NHE
Lyon
Family Elder

Re: More on Grapefruit Juice

Post by Lyon »

NHE wrote:The clinical significance of the grapefruit juice-methylprednisolone interaction is small, but in some sensitive subjects high doses of grapefruit juice might enhance the effects of oral methylprednisolone.[/list] NHE
Thanks NHE,
Gosh, I hope it's occured to someone that further study might define a way to lower the dosage...and damage caused by prednisolone.
Bob
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: CBC Goji Article

Post by NHE »

CureOrBust wrote:even though I would place myself slap bang in the skeptics camp on goji juice, I did find the quoted articels to be over biased (I didnt actually read the articles, just the quotes melody provided).
While I certainly don't wish to rekindle the prior feud over natural products in general (in fact I take several natural product supplements), I do encourage anyone interested to watch/listen to the full program presented by the CBC. I wasn't able to watch it. For some reason, the WinXP computer I used was recently updated to WMP11 and only the audio came through. Still, there was enough information present that it seemed that the claims made about goji juice were being overstretched at least with the particular product which was discussed.

NHE