my girlfriend

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
syckbastid
Family Member

Post by syckbastid »

Edit
Last edited by syckbastid on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

Lyon wrote:
robbie wrote:If my wife left me i wouldn't blame her a bit, I love her and want a good life for her. It's not anyones fault. this is bigger than relationships, it's life sitting on a fence, just don't be mad at her shes just as hurt as you..
It's not comfortable to think about, but you're absolutely right robbie.

You and Robbie are a bundle of fun :lol: .There is just as much chance John leaves me ZERO as I leave him ZERO 8O . We are a team.If she is hurting she did a real good job of distancing herself from the pain. SixSix doesn't get that option. BOOO HOOO for her. I have an ITCH that's screaming for a B in front of it.
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

syckbastid wrote:90% of blah, blah what a bs statistic.
Yep....it certainly is a lousy statistic....but guess from where they obtain these numbers and you soon learn how difficult it is within a MS relationship and just how hard the couples have to work to even have a hope of success.

Harry
syckbastid
Family Member

Post by syckbastid »

edit
Last edited by syckbastid on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

I don't like the iteration of 90% break up rate of relationships either - not because I don't LIKE the subject, but becuase I just don't feel this is a real statistic, more anecdotal.

Harry where did you get this statistic from?
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Post by TwistedHelix »

I went to the doctor today and got some medication called clonazepam it really helped with the anxiety. I feel real good
Well done, Six, just by going to the doctor you've taken a massive step forward! I'm glad you're feeling better, especially because anxiety and emotional stress will only make your MS symptoms worse. Give it plenty of time though, I mean, things are bound to go up and down for a while so if you do have a bad day, try not to immediately think that you've gone back to square one -- you've pulled yourself up by the boot straps once, you can do it again!

None of us here, (I presume), knows you, your ex, your personalities, or situation, so it would be wrong of me to assume I know what went wrong with your relationship or start apportioning blame, but I think it's fair to say that when somebody leaves you it's one of the worst feelings in the world, and dealing with MS is one of the hardest things, so combining the two is absolutely devastating.

I rarely look at the "daily life" section of this website, because I've had MS for a long time and I've been through every emotion under the sun, but I think it's excellent that we have a resource here where we can share how it feels to have MS, (to me, the most important part of the whole deal), and not simply concentrate on the mechanics of myelin, oligodendrocytes, and the like,

Dom.
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

SIXSIX,

Just to counter the dodgy statistic posted by Mr Z:

- I've been married 20 years, the last three with MS. It's not been easy, but I can't see us ever breaking up.

- I think GWA is soon celebrating her 40th wedding anniversary.

- Lyon is still with his wife who has MS.

- Dr Wheldon is still with Sarah.

- Melody is still with her husband.

- Muu is still with her husband.

- And Raven who has MS (treated with Campath like me) is getting married in June (and I'm attending).

So I don't think it's a done deal that 90%+ of relationships breakdown where one of the partners has MS. Mr Z has always sought to undermine the statistics published by Biogen and it's good to see the reaction against the sort of ropey and insensitive statistic he posted on relationships and MS.

No one knows what the future holds - I certainly think that there will be much, much better treatments and that MS will become much more manageable and enable us to live near normal lives.

I wish you all the best for the future, both in terms of health and finding someone else to share your life with.

Good luck.

Ian
SIXSIX
Getting to Know You...

Post by SIXSIX »

Again I appreciate all of the comments. I would never let a statistic bother me. I have faith and a positive outlook on Life I know I will not live with ths forever. I believe it may just have been God giving myself back to me to re evaluate my life. Stay tuned for my trip to recovery and achieving perfect health! :lol:
Last edited by SIXSIX on Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

syckbastid wrote:I am a married 28 year old male. Your bullshit sources can teach me nothing. There is no way to accurately detemine the percentage of failed relationships b/c:

1) People in successful relationships would not bother with such a survey, so most respondents to such a query are those who experienced hardship.

2) You are a fool for even posting such nonsense in a thread started by a guy upset that he just got dumped.
Like I said earlier, one can hide their head in the sand and ignore information that has been gathered by people who have been dealing with MS patients for decades. You can ridicule the sources as well but that won't make them go away.

I'm glad that you are able to determine that people in a successful relationship would not respond to such a survey. I'm in a successful relationship (been married for 31 years) and I've participated so right off the bat you are at least wrong on one person!

And be careful about calling people names in your posts.....that is against the rules on this forum and if you can't express your different opinions without name-calling, then perhaps you shouldn't post at all.

Harry
syckbastid
Family Member

Post by syckbastid »

edit
Last edited by syckbastid on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

What is your disabilty syckbastid ?
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Harry,

Just call it a day. You tried to destroy the hope of MS patients on the Tysabri forum - I see that you don't post there now that people are posting some good experiences. And now you are telling those of us with MS that 90%+ of us will end up with a broken relationship.

This thread was for SixSix and gave some of us an opportunity to show some empathy and wish him all the best.

Name-calling shouldn't be the punishable offence, it should be those who post insensitive so-called statistics.
sh8un
Family Elder

Post by sh8un »

Harry...
Yes...I had to read your post again just so that I can make sense of what is going on. I just do not get why you don't understand the fact that we all know that bad things exist with MS. None of us are ignoring it. Mostly because we can't even if we wanted to. I have no idea why it is so hard for you to understand that when someone is sad about breaking up with a loved one, you should not sit there and tell them that the world is really so much worse than he ever thought possible. He may be able to beat the odds and find the love of his life because of this break up. So, ( Love your comments connieb), I just don't see how your comment is constructive. I don't know why I sit here and bother explaining this to you because I know that you don't get it. Being "factual" is not always necessary or nice. Ex. you don't walk up to a person in a wheelchair to let them know that they are disabled and that they are sitting in a wheelchair. Just not necessary or nice. That's all I am going to say because I am not about to take away from 66's posts just so that I can argue with Harry. Sorry 66.

Connieb...thanx for the well wishes. Now that I know the stats, I feel challenged to make it work.
viper498
Family Elder

Post by viper498 »

Wow, I sure wish everyone would leave Harry alone. He was only presenting some information. Everyone can take from it what they want, but there is no reason to attack, or denounce. Its not like he meant any harm to SixSix. This site is all about information. Embrace it.

Brock
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Melody wrote: You and Robbie are a bundle of fun :lol: .There is just as much chance John leaves me ZERO as I leave him ZERO 8O . We are a team.If she is hurting she did a real good job of distancing herself from the pain. SixSix doesn't get that option. BOOO HOOO for her. I have an ITCH that's screaming for a B in front of it.
Hi Melody,
First, SixSix has my sympathy without reservation. A broken heart is a broken heart whether or not you have MS and whether or not his ex is a cad.

Like you mentioned and like Ian mentioned, there are a lot of relationships that MS is going to test but not be able to break. My wife and I have been together about 28 years and although things are still easy for us right now (disability minimal/nonexistant) I'd have to say there is no chance that MS is going to break us up.

On the other hand, I'm not sure any of us are qualified to judge who is a bad person for no longer dating someone with MS early in a relationship. Obviously MS plays a part in those kinds of decisions, but people break up when MS isn't a factor so how could we know what was involved in their decision making process?

I guess the point is that I feel bad for SixSix but I don't feel justified in considering his ex girlfriend is a bad person. Is he better off without her? Yes, without a doubt.

Bob
Last edited by Lyon on Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”