Minocycline & BBB effects

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Minocycline & BBB effects

Post by CureOrBust »

This may be old news to some, but its new to me. I had thought mino only worked due to its ant-inflamatory properties, but it also appears to reduce the BBB disruptions.
Minocycline Improves Neurological Outcome and Reduces BBB Disruption, Hemorrhage, and Perivascular Microglial Accumulation In Vivo
http://stroke.ahajournals.org/cgi/conte ... /37/4/1087
A second agent that acts at the BBB is minocycline. Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are produced during inflammation and contribute to the degradation of the basement membrane. This step is necessary for transmigration of activated T lymphocytes across the BBB and profoundly inhibited by one of the approved therapies, IFN-. Minocycline has been shown to inhibit the activity of MMPs and decrease production of MMP-9. In an EAE model, minocycline-treated animals had significantly attenuated disease.[40] A current phase II trial of minocycline in relapsing-remitting MS patients is underway.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/459968_5

I would of posted this under antibiotics, but its not the antibiotic effect of mino that is important here.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

You didn't, but I saw it nonetheless. It just goes to show what multi-purpose treatments both minocycline and doxycycline are......Sarah 8)
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.