Inosine & ms

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Inosine & ms

Post by TwistedHelix »

URLPubmed

I take Inosine, and think it helps, but have to buy it from the U.S.,(expensive). Anyone found it in the U.K.? "RhosT" on 'ms news' points out that it is also commonly used as an anti-herpes drug, and HHV often crops up in relation to MS.

Dom.
Manchester
Family Member

Post by Manchester »

Hi Dom,

I have been taking inosine religiously for over 7 years (Source Naturals) but have never found it in the UK, with the exception of one formula by Source Natural which combines it with other supplements, some of which I don't need or would not want to take.

I also take Brewers Yeast which also increases Uric Acid and is much more readily available.

As I usually order other supplement too I don't find it expensive to order from the US but would also love to find a supplier in the UK

Manchester
connieb
Family Member

Post by connieb »

Dom and Manchester-- just curious, what dosages do you take? What effects have you seen?
Shayk
Family Elder

Inosine and Axons

Post by Shayk »

Dom and Manchester—I don’t know a source of inosine in the UK, but I recently came across this info about inosine (first article is freely available) and thought you may be interested.

Inosine induces axonal rewiring and improves behavioral outcome after stroke
inosine stimulated neurons on the undamaged side of the brain to extend new projections to denervated areas of the midbrain and spinal cord.

Effects of inosine on axonal regeneration of axotomized retinal ganglion cells in adult rats
The axon outgrowth-promoting effect of inosine in adult rodents may represent a potential clinical treatment for injured or degenerated CNS.
Maybe this is another reason why the inosine trial had positive results.

Sharon
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

i must admit, i didn't read the articles presented, but when I originally read an article regarding inosine and axonal regen, it involved injecting the inosine into the cns directly (not oral)
Manchester
Family Member

Post by Manchester »

connieb wrote:Dom and Manchester-- just curious, what dosages do you take? What effects have you seen?
Difficult to say what effects it has as I have always had an EDSS of 0, the question is would it have remained so without taking supplements like inosine? As its main, understood, way of working is by increasing Uric Acid which is a scavenger of Peroxynitrite the assumption is it is neuro-protective, this is at least why I take it.

A recent pubmed extract says in its results and conclusion
-----------------------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/32sc4n

RESULTS: During the observed period the treated MS patients were found to have the lower relapses rate than the non-treated MS patients (Chi-square test, p = 0.001). None of the patients have showed any adverse effect of inosine treatment. The non-treated MS patients were found to have a higher increasing in the mean EDSS score than the treated ones (two-way ANOVA-repeated measures/factor times, p = 0.025). CONCLUSION: Our results suggested that the treatment approaches based on the elevation of serum uric acid levels might prove beneficial for some MS patients.
------------------------------

My serum uric acid levels have always been in the mid normal range and I took part in an experiment some years ago to see if their was any difference in my blood to others with RRMS, the only difference was this fact.

I take 1000 mg of inosine daily as well as brewers yeast (also increases uric acid), this is really just a maintance dosage for me as my serum levels remain mid -to high normal.

The other thing found to increase Uric Acid levels (UA) is copaxone and this may be another mechanism by which it works. Wouldn't know personally as my chances of getting copaxone are equal to be becoming an astronaut.

Manchester
Manchester
Family Member

Re: Inosine and Axons

Post by Manchester »

Shayk wrote:Dom and Manchester—I don’t know a source of inosine in the UK, but I recently came across this info about inosine (first article is freely available) and thought you may be interested.

Inosine induces axonal rewiring and improves behavioral outcome after stroke
inosine stimulated neurons on the undamaged side of the brain to extend new projections to denervated areas of the midbrain and spinal cord.

Effects of inosine on axonal regeneration of axotomized retinal ganglion cells in adult rats
The axon outgrowth-promoting effect of inosine in adult rodents may represent a potential clinical treatment for injured or degenerated CNS.
Maybe this is another reason why the inosine trial had positive results.

Sharon
Boston Life sciences have been investigating innosine in axonal regeneration for strokes for what seems like aeons now. http://tinyurl.com/3yx93o

Most of the experiments I have read about for axonal regneration have involved using mini pumps placed for delivery of innosine with mixed but on the whole positive results. However, a serum UA increase by oral means has also been found beneficial as long as it is done quickly after the spinal cord trauma takes place.

Manchester
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Post by TwistedHelix »

Thanks for the information, everyone,

I've been taking 1000 milligrams of Source Naturals Inosine daily for a number of years now, and while I can't say that there has been a miraculous return of function, those few things I can do have definitely become easier.
Unfortunately, at about the same time, I increased my vitamin D intake, started taking soya protein, and introduced nicotinamide , so it's impossible to attribute any improvement to one thing.

If this is used as an anti-viral drug, particularly against herpes, then that might mean inosine can tackle MS on two fronts.

At a guess, my EDSS is hovering somewhere just above 9 and I've had PPMS for well over 21 years now, so it's a bit late for miracles, but if a supplement seems to help those poor little mice, I'll give it a go. After all, when did you last see a mouse in a wheelchair?

Dom.