New Rules from FDA

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
HarryZ
Family Elder

New Rules from FDA

Post by HarryZ »

This could certainly have an effect on how big pharma conducts its business in the future.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/22/washi ... 0&emc=eta1

Harry
marcstck
Family Elder

Post by marcstck »

Well, that's a start. I've often wondered why payola is illegal in the music industry, but is considered business as usual within the medical establishment. The fact that doctors wind up on the payroll of the pharmaceutical companies whose drugs they hawk is scandalous...
Nemotoday
Family Member

FDA Etc

Post by Nemotoday »

Long, long overdue and I hope that Europe follow suit as well. :D
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

I wish I knew more about the whole process because on one hand I think allowing any loopholes and allowing researchers even the $50,000 is too lax.

On the other hand, I don't want to risk hindering new treatment availability or increase the time before they become available.

Bob
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

My part-time job as devil's advocate impels me to post a link making a case for the other side of the argument. I'm not sure where I stand, but I don't really think it's all that simple once I read both sides...

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/20 ... o_play.php
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

dignan wrote:My part-time job as devil's advocate impels me to post a link making a case for the other side of the argument. I'm not sure where I stand, but I don't really think it's all that simple once I read both sides...
Thanks dignan, sounds like we're going to have plenty of time to form an opinion!
Bob
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

dignan wrote:My part-time job as devil's advocate impels me to post a link making a case for the other side of the argument. I'm not sure where I stand, but I don't really think it's all that simple once I read both sides...
Big pharma has survived and become very large, rich and influential over the years regardless of what rules they are given by the FDA or other government regulators. If they aren't allowed to give someone more than $ 50,000 to "preach" how wonderful a new drug is, they will find a way to get around that and insure their spokesperson is compensated.

Big money has always managed to overcome rules and when you look at the possible revenue that a drug company has in its sights with a new medication, you can bet the right thing is said by the right person and the right time.

These new rules proposed for the FDA will make it a bit more difficult for big pharma but I'm sure they are already thinking of ways to circumvent them.

Harry

Return to “General Discussion”