Q&A on Tysabri and Campath 1-H

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
bromley
Family Elder

Q&A on Tysabri and Campath 1-H

Post by bromley »

Dear all,

I recently posted a presentation by Dr Coles on Tysabri and Campath. This week, Dr Coles is answering questions about Tysabri and Campath on the UK MS Society website. Tysabri is not yet approved in the UK and Campath is in trial.

Ian

<shortened url>
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

Bickley is back! That guy asks the best questions. How did ThisIsMS get stuck with Bickley's evil twin, Bromley?
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Dignan,

We are one man - I live in a place called Bickley which is in a London Borough called Bromley. I also posted the question under Anon about the reason for improvements in disability for some patients who received Campath. Dr Coles' response was:
We have lots of ideas about why some peoples’ disability seems to improve after Campath-1H. And we are testing them out in the lab. It is a bit early to go public though!
As well as being a top MS researcher, he's a really nice guy. His presentation and answers use terms like "toxic" when talking about Tysabri and Campath. He and his colleagues are taking it very carefully as they examine Campath as a possible MS treatment. He fully recognises that there are substantial risks to the higher-power treatments such as Tysabri and Campath. Even Harry Z couldn't object (but he will).

Looks like the Campath trial results are out in May.

Ian
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

It will be interesting to see if the NHS will pay for Campath when they have refused to pay for Tysarbi. That would be a big step for Campath and might have Biogen squawking.

gwa
Muu
Family Elder

Post by Muu »

Dr Coles stuff interesting and impressed that he takes time to do the Q&A forum. Will wait to see what the trial news is. In the meantime good to have you posting again Brom or is it Ian? or is it Bickley? Quite a chameleon aren't you?
muu
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Ian,

I'm going to surprise you so I hope that you are sitting down and relaxed :)

It's refreshing to see someone like Dr. Coles answering these questions as a professional researcher and NOT someone who is working for a drug company's interests. He certainly tells it like it is from a science point of view as opposed to a marketing promo.

I found one comment he made quite interesting:
On the other hand, it may be that you are not having relapses, but are steadily getting worse due to “progressive multiple sclerosis”. This will not be helped by Tysabri.
Yet I have read on the net that some docs recommend using Tysabri in aggressive MS. I think I would believe Dr. Coles on this one.

Harry
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Harry,

I've just managed to pick myself up from the floor.

I'm very fortunate to have Dr Coles as my neuro. He and his team know that treatments such as Campath come with substantial risks, but they are taking it slowly and carefully. I couldn't be in better hands with the follow up and monitoring I am receiving. I am also fortunate that the other neuro I saw / am in touch with (Professor Giovannoni) has a similar outlook.

Maybe you're not so bad after all. :)

Ian

Muu, It seems a long time since our romantic meal alongside the Thames. If you're lucky, I might treat you again!
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

bromley wrote:Harry,
Maybe you're not so bad after all. :)
Ian
Hi Ian,
Others have also noticed the change. Have the neuros check the batch number on your Campath because it seems they might have slipped you a 50/50 Viagara/Prozac mixture by mistake :oops:

Not to say that you shouldn't be nice to Harry.....but there is just something sick and wrong about things lately.

Bob
Muu
Family Elder

Post by Muu »

Lunch with you is always a pleasure Ian. (Campath is obviously reaching the parts other treatments cannot reach! (joke!)) Great that you have confidence in your medical team. That's how I feel about mine on the Lamotrigine trial.
muu