How myelin gets mistaken

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

How myelin gets mistaken

Post by TwistedHelix »

The following link to a PubMed abstract contains the usual impenetrable jargon. Here is my attempt at translation:

Two of the amino acids on a ligand, (docking molecule), of myelin basic protein are in the wrong position. They are necessary to bind with receptors on the surface of T-cells so that the myelin is not mistaken as "foreign".
Because they do not engage correctly with the T-cell, the myelin basic protein is misrecognised.
Here is the abstract:

tinyURL

Dom.
daisy
Family Member

Post by daisy »

Dom - I always get a lot out of your posts. Thanks for taking the time to share your research with the forum! Daisy
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Post by TwistedHelix »

Thanks Daisy,

I usually try and fumble my way through the jargon to see if I can extract some meaning from these abstracts, but I'm not a scientist, so don't always take my word for it! I always half-expect someone to reply with a post pointing out that I've got everything wrong!

In this particular extract it looks as if they found a reason, (hopefully "the" reason), why T cells mistake myelin for foreign tissue. If so, this could be an important step forward,

Dom.