Coenzyme Q10

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Crying_Chic

Coenzyme Q10

Post by Crying_Chic »

Hello,

What are your thoughts on Coenzyme Q10?

From what I've read I would like to take about 200 - 400mg for it's neuroprotective effects however I'm concerned about it stimulating the immune system?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

I take 400mg a day........Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
Crying_Chic

Post by Crying_Chic »

Oh thanks Sarah,

Clicked your www. link wonderful paintings!

Anyone else got any opinions on Coenzyme Q10?
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Crying Chic

There's been recent mention in another thread of the Nancy Davis Center Without Walls. I've read her book, Lean on Me, and she thinks CoQ10 has been very helpful in her case.

You might also want to read this abstract. The entire article is freely available and there's a segment on CoQ10 and MS.

Sharon
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I have taken 400+ a day, but I now take it as Lipitor(ie Statins) are known to reduce it. I can not personally say I have noticed any difference
Crying_Chic

Post by Crying_Chic »

Thanks Sharon and CoB,

I've just done a search on pub med - Q10 immune -

And it does seem to stimulate the immune system in addition to all of it's positive effects for MS.

I guess moderation might be the key.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

It all depends on which "camp" you pitch your tent. If LDN works the way they believe it to work, then it too stimulates the immune system.
leonardo
Family Member

Re: Coenzyme Q10

Post by leonardo »

Coenzyme Q10 as a treatment for fatigue and depression in multiple sclerosis patients: A double blind randomized clinical trial.
Sanoobar M, Dehghan P, Khalili M, Azimi A, Seifar F.
Abstract
Objectives Multiple sclerosis (MS) is the chronic inflammatory and demyelinating disorder of central nervous system which is accompanied with disability and negative life style changes such as fatigue and depression. The aim of this study is to investigate the effect of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) supplementation on fatigue and depression in patients with MS. Methods We performed a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial to determine the effect of CoQ10 supplement (500 mg/day) vs. placebo for 12 weeks. Fatigue symptoms were quantified by means of fatigue severity scale (FSS) and the Beck depression inventory (BDI) was used to assess depressive symptoms. Results A significant decrease of FSS was observed in CoQ10 group during the intervention (P = 0.001) and significant increase of FSS change was observed within placebo group (P = 0.001). Repeated measure analysis of variance showed a significant time-by-treatment interaction for FSS (baseline 41.5 ± 15.6 vs. endpoint 45 ± 13.6; F1,45 = 55.23, P < 0.001, η2 = 0.56) and BDI (baseline 17.8 ± 12.2 vs. endpoint 20.4 ± 11.4; F1,45 = 40.3, P < 0.001, η2 = 0.48), indicating significant decrease of FSS and BDI in CoQ10 group compared to placebo group. Conclusion Our study suggests that CoQ10 supplementation (500 mg/day) can improve fatigue and depression in patients with multiple sclerosis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25603363
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

I've used many supplements since 2003 and CoQ10 is one which has remained in my regimen. I attribute an increase in energy to its use. I like zinc too as I believe it wards off colds.

PN
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,
I guess your question really is what is Q10 and why should I take it.
When it was discovered in 1957, the Q denoted that they thought it was a quinone. The 10 was because it has 10 isoprenoids in its side chain. Merk found it. Did nothing with it and it was developed by the Japanese.
The Nobel prize for 1978 was awarded for discovering how it worked and how the energy processes in the mitochondria work. It was a profound discovery.
Coenzyeme Q10 is also called ubiquinone because it is ubiquitous and is in every cell in the body.
It can be derived from diet or synthisised by the body.
The production of Q10 requires the amino acid, Tyrosine, at least 8 vitamins and some trace elements. If any are deficient you won’t make enough.
It is fat soluble, an antioxidant, inhibits the oxidation of fats (peroxidation) and thus protects the body from free radical stress.
It is a big molecule so poorly absorbed into the blood. Oil preparation are better absorbed and powder derivations are not. The rate of absorption affects the results of tests and its efficacy.
Q10, when reduced accepts electrons. Free radicals have unpaired electrons. The Q10 is an antioxidant because it can accept these electrons before they do damage. It engulfs free radicals in the mitochondria before damage is done. Vitamins C and E, Selenium and Zinc also accept electrons.
It helps take electrons from Vitamin E so the vitamin can again attract electrons from antioxidants.
Q10 is also an electron donor. This means it can pass electrons along so it is integral to the electron transport chain.
It helps stabilise membranes and is effectively anti-aging.
Most of the bodys energy metabolism occurs in the mitochondria through a process called oxidative phosphorylation. Q10 is the vital link in the electron transport required to convert ADP to ATP. The process is also dependant on oxygen, nutrients, vitamins and cofactors. A deficiency in any part of the system impairs energy production.
The cardiologist, Stephen Sinatra, suggests the following doses
90-150mg daily as a preventative for cardiovascular disease and periodontal disease
130-160mg daily for the treatment of angina pectoris, cardiac arrhythmia, high blood pressure and moderate gingival disease for patients taking HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statins)
300-360mg daily for mild to moderate congestive heart failure
360-600mg daily for severe congestive heart failure and dilated cardiomyopathy
600-1200mg daily for an improvement in the quality of life of parkinsons disease
He makes the point that even higher doses may be required for severely impaired immune systems.
I have precised this from the Sinatra Solution – Metabolic Cardiology by Stephen Sinatra.
I found it very useful with a great deal of overlap for issues that bedevil people with MS.
My own dose is 750mg at night as part of a broader protocol and I derive enormous benefit from it.
Regards
scotland
Family Member

Post by scotland »

Hi
Check MitoQ as well at mitoq.com . It is from New Zealand and they have figured out a way make coq10 penetrate mitochondria , which is a double walled organelle, much better. It is something like 600 times more effective than ordinary coq10. A powerful anti oxidant. I take it and it is great for energy .
Scott
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks,
I took a look at their website - http://www.mitoq.com/au/mitoq-universit ... ve-stress/

and have contacted them about providing a bit more than marketing research so we can have a look.

Regards
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

I've tried Qunol Mega CoQ10 ubiquinol.

http://www.qunol.com/qunol-products-cat ... uinol-SALE

One capsule/day didn't seem to do much. Perhaps a higher dosage may have had a noticeable effect.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

I think the science is right but it comes down to how much you take and whether you have got what you paid for. I paid up for a brand that was much more expensive than the shop brands because I knew it was a higher quality of manufacture. I bought a cheap brand once and nothing happened and I was so disappointed.
The dose needs to be high. We are looking for a response that's noticeable. For me it's 750mg before bed but I'd start lower and work up over a little time. I am a big fan of Sinatra's view on L-Carnitine as well as it works in conjunction with the whole mitochondrial action.

Regards
Luvsadonut
Family Elder

Post by Luvsadonut »

I currently take 400mg of Q10 daily, which supplements are necessary to ensure that I get max benefit from Q10.

Return to “General Discussion”