Lyrica?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
missvicki
Family Member

Lyrica?

Post by missvicki »

My girlfriend was just prescribed Lyrica for her nerve pain and she calls it a "miracle drug". Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this medication.
Toyoterry
Family Elder

Post by Toyoterry »

I have been taking Lyrica for over a year. It was prescribe for the neuropathic pain in my feet and sometimes in my skin, also my headaches. I was prescribed Lyrica and Amytriptiline at the same time. I still have pain when the temp. gets too hot or cold but it is much better. The past year has been the best year I've had since being diagnosed. Can't say if it was the Lyrica or not but my pharmacist says that many customers swear by it. Even after a year, it still makes me really sleepy sometimes.
Terry
missvicki
Family Member

Post by missvicki »

Thanks Terry! She says it makes her tired too. Do you take it at bedtime?
Toyoterry
Family Elder

Post by Toyoterry »

I take a pill at bedtime and another in the afternoon. It's the afternoon pill that really gets me sometimes. I'm also taking 30mg of baclofen 3x daily and amytriptiline at bedtime. Put all three of these together at night and I have no trouble falling to sleep.
Terry
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Lyrica?

Post by HarryZ »

missvicki wrote:My girlfriend was just prescribed Lyrica for her nerve pain and she calls it a "miracle drug". Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this medication.
Over a year ago, my wife, who was suffering from constant spasms and the associated pain, was prescribed Lyrica. She could only take the small dosage since anything higher always upset her stomach.

The Lyrica pretty much ended the jumping spasms that she would suffer at different times of the night. It allowed her to sleep undisturbed by the spasms.

After using the drug from about 8 months, she decided to slowly take herself off it and see what happened. The spasms didn't return and she no longer takes the Lyrica.

One never knows what is going to happen when you have MS!

Harry
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

This is a very old thread but the topic is of interest to me as I just started taking in a couple of weeks ago. So far I don't notice any improvement in nerve pain but I am told it could take a several weeks to a month to notice anything. Just wondering if anyone else here is taking Lyrica and if you are and care to, share your experience...
hargarah
Family Member

Post by hargarah »

It was a miracle drug for me. I am on the max dose: 300mg in the morning and at night. It changes the signal and "type of pain". I used to have such a "burning in my legs"...that I couldn't wear pants (only shorts) and a day at the office in a suit was hell! Lyrica changed the pain to a "Yucky.. not pleasant" pain...which isn't great, but tolerable. The reality is that everyone's neuropathic pain is different, but I much rather use Lyrica than Opiods which constipate and cause addiction.