rapeseed oil-canola oil revisited

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

rapeseed oil-canola oil revisited

Postby lyndacarol » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:33 am

I used to have a good memory--no longer--MS?

It seems to me I recall some discussion about rapeseed vs. canola oil--can't remember where or who.

Anyway, I came across the following in my current reading (Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill by Udo Erasmus, page 116):
From 1956 to 1974, oils made from rape seed containing up to 40% erucic acid were marketed for human consumption in Canada. In response to government concerns about the results of the rat studies, geneticists bred new varieties of low erucic acid rapeseed (LEAR) containing less than 5% erucic acid. These are now known as canola (the Canadian oil).

This author is in Canada, so I assume he knows what he is saying. Can anyone vouch for his reliability? I surely hope he isn't a quack; I find myself believing much else of what he writes!
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby gwa » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:39 am

lc,

There was a paper recently published which debunked the myth that canola oil was bad for us. I read the article within the past few weeks, but did not mark it because I use very little canola oil and was not that interested in the topic.

You should be able to Google canola oil and find the article.

It is my understanding that rapeseed oil is canola oil, so I don't understand your question about rapeseed vs canola.

gwa
gwa
Family Elder

Clarification

Postby lyndacarol » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:51 am

I was not clear--sorry. I was trying to say that canola oil is a variety of rapeseed. All canola is rapeseed, but not all rapeseed is canola.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion