Canker Sores

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Canker Sores

Postby lojake » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:58 am

I was wondering does anyone out there suffer with constant canker sores? I have been a sufferer for about 5 years now, around the length of time to when my doctors think that my MS first showed up. Can there be a link to canker sores and MS? If so is there any thing that I can do about it? Please help, they are driving me crazy!
lojake

Advertisement

Postby Lyon » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi lojake,
This is probably not related but hopefully isn't a waste of time.

There are an increasing number of people, myself included, who think that, at some underlying level, the autoimmune diseases are variations of the same processes. For that reason it isn't surprising to find that a person will have more than one autoimmune disease or that a given family will have a higher instance of a certain autoimmune disease or various other autoimmune diseases.

It seems that people with crohn's and ulcerative colitis (both autoimmune) often have Aphthous Ulcers http://www.emedicine.com/ent/topic700.htm
so it wouldn't be surprising if that were also more common in MS.

Again, probably not related because from what I remember, canker sores are herpes virus and later edit: I "think there are also studies insinuating that higher than expected numbers of people with MS carry the herpes virus.

Bob
Last edited by Lyon on Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby Toyoterry » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:46 pm

I have always suffered from canker sores, as a matter of fact, I have two right now. I used to take alot of decongestants for my sinuses and they always dried my mouth out. I am on Baclofen which does the same thing. I think a dry mouth allows cankers sores to form because your mouth doen't have enough mucus to protect it. My daughter shares my problem with canker sores and she recently had a positive AnA test which along with her occasionally sore joints, made her Dr. suspicious of Juvenile RA. Her mom has RA, I have MS and psoriasis and her brother has psoriasis. I definitely agree with your opinion on the underlying connection between various auto immune disorders.
Toyoterry
Family Elder

Postby Toyoterry » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:52 pm

Check out the post labeled " Activa".
Terry
Toyoterry
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:13 pm

I see what you mean Terry. Interesting. Thanks!

I changed my above post to uninvolve the parasite aspect, in case it seems odd that it reads differently than it did originally.

Bob

Later edit: I can't testify to it's accuracy but this page is an interesting way to view the possible herpes/MS relationship http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/HerpesViruses.html
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby IHaveMS-com » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:07 pm

Hi lojake,

For canker sores or cold sores, try 500 mg of lysine daily. It will not get rid of the ones you currently have, but it should prevent future one. You must take it daily. If you feel one coming on, increase the dose to 1,500 mg per day. Lysine is available at most drugstores in the vitamin supplement section.
Best regards, Tim

In 2001, my family helped fund the startup of Opexa. My father served on the Board of Directors of PharmaFrontiers, now Opexa Therapeutics, until the company completed a successful 23-million dollar financing round.
IHaveMS-com
Family Elder

Other viral lesions and MS?

Postby Smilingface » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:05 am

I was wondering if anyone is having issues with other viral lesions on the skin? I've noticed several wart-like looking things on my hand. I have self diagnosed them as papillomas which are generally attributed to HPV related viruses. I am going to post a query on the antibiotic forum as well because I am thinking I'm seeing them become more numerous because I am on long term antibiotics. I may have to break down and make an appointment with a dermatologist. :)
Smilingface
Family Elder

Postby ewizabeth » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:55 am

I get periodic outbreaks from canker sores. Often, it will start with me biting my lip or inside my mouth, then they develop into a painful sore. I've had them since I was about six years old or so. I remember once as a child I had about five large ones all around my mouth and I couldn't eat for a few days.

Acidic foods aggravate them for me. I have to watch my garden tomato consumption in the summer. :cry: I just got over a very bad one. My chewing is not as coordinated from my facial symptoms, so I tend to bite them once they swell up too.

Interestingly, while I was on AC&R, I never had them. :? But now on Tysabri I just had an outbreak.

I should try the Lysine when they flare up, my husband tells me to do that, but it just seems like another pill to my already big pile I take in the morning .... :roll:
Take care, Ewizabeth Previously Avonex, Rebif & Copaxone RRMS ~Tysabri, 31 infusions, ended 9/09. Starting Copaxone 12/09, waiting for Cladribine to be approved in 2010.
ewizabeth
Family Elder

Postby IHaveMS-com » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:03 am

Hi ewizabeth,

I should try the Lysine when they flare up, my husband tells me to do that, but it just seems like another pill to my already big pile I take in the morning

Lysine will not get rid of the ones you currently have, but it should prevent future one. You must take it daily, forever. My father says that even while you are taking lysine, you may sense a sore starting. If you feel one coming on, increase the dose to 1,500 mg per day, 500 mg morning, noon, and night.

My father and my grandmother had problems with canker and cold sores for as long as they can remember. A dermatologist friend told my father about lysine more than 20 years ago. They have both been taking a daily supplement for over 20 years, and neither has a canker or cold sore since starting the lysine.

My father says he would have 3 cold sores per year and my grandmother had constant canker sores. I have never had a canker or cold sore, so I do not take lysine. One of my cousins was getting several cold sores per year. My father suggested lysine. I believe it is 7 or 8 years since she has had one.

As with all meds or supplements, the results will vary. If you decide to try it, I would give it at least 3 months before declaring it beneficial or not, and then you must take it daily forever.
Best regards, Tim

In 2001, my family helped fund the startup of Opexa. My father served on the Board of Directors of PharmaFrontiers, now Opexa Therapeutics, until the company completed a successful 23-million dollar financing round.
IHaveMS-com
Family Elder

Postby ewizabeth » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:13 am

Thanks Tim,

My husband also takes them, and just said basically the same thing you said. I'll start taking them today. :-)
Take care, Ewizabeth Previously Avonex, Rebif & Copaxone RRMS ~Tysabri, 31 infusions, ended 9/09. Starting Copaxone 12/09, waiting for Cladribine to be approved in 2010.
ewizabeth
Family Elder

Postby IHaveMS-com » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:35 am

Sounds like a plan.
Best regards, Tim

IHaveMS-com
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion