Immune and nervous system cells talk to each other

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Immune and nervous system cells talk to each other

Post by TwistedHelix »

Signalling between cells is vital for correct functioning, but I didn't realise that the immune system and nervous system talked to each other quite so much:

Trends Immunol. 2007 Aug 3;
Franco R, Pacheco R, Lluis C, Ahern GP, O''connell PJ
Discuss | category: Immunology

Initially, the idea that neurotransmitters could serve as immunomodulators emerged with the discovery that their release and diffusion from nervous tissue could lead to signaling through lymphocyte cell-surface receptors and the modulation of immune function. It is now evident that neurotransmitters can also be released from leukocytes and act as autocrine or paracrine modulators. Here, we review the data indicating that leukocytes synthesize and release 'neurotransmitters' and we also discuss the diverse effects that these compounds exert in a variety of immune cells. The role of neurotransmitters in immune-related diseases is also reviewed succinctly. Current and future developments in understanding the cross-talk between the immune and nervous systems will probably identify new avenues for treating immune-mediated diseases using agonists or antagonists of neurotransmitter receptors
Dom
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

cytokines

Post by notasperfectasyou »

Thanks for putting this up.

I found a link to the abstract

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... e7c3626d5f#

I couldn't make a link with it, but it works if you cut and paste it. It drives me nuts that yagotta pay $30 to see it. napay

I speculate that they are talking about cytokines/genes etc.
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

it's not even up thru my school's subscription yet, title page has it in the list of "forthcoming articles"